Pre-med to pre-pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starflower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any converted pre-meds on here? I am wondering why you guys chose pharmacy...

Why would you want to do pharmacy over medicine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any converted pre-meds on here? I am wondering why you guys chose pharmacy...

Why would you want to do pharmacy over medicine?

Thanks!

Ok,my biggest confession to make- I am a converted pre-med.

the reasons why I didn't want to be a pre-med anymore :

1) Couldn't be arround pre-meds anymore, was sick of the whole god mentality of pre-meds before they even started med school- so far all the pre-pharms I have met were the nicest people period.

2) after volunteering at the hospital I reazlied med school was not for me.

The reasons why I decided to go into pharmacy would take a lot of writing to do and I don't have time right now since my pchem final is tom.

Search my post history for this topic as I've talked about this quite a bit.

To summarize those posts, I switched mainly because I felt like the medical career would run my life to the point where I had no more control. Too much drama involved with the pursuit and the acquisition scared me away.

I realized after a while that I pursued it partly due to other people's expectations of me with my stellar marks in school. Once in a while, I get the question about why I didn't go med with my intelligence people said I had. I definitely wanted a health professions career but one where I could enjoy life a little more outside of it. I only live once.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was orignally pre-med...but i chose pre-pharm because med is jus to freakin hard and to much stuff to do...and the lifestyle of a pharmacist has way less stress then a doctor.....the only downside is that many pharmacist arent given the respect the deserve and are often treated like a cashier at wal-mart..

I myself have been tossing the idea around of Pre-Med....in fact, before joining this, I joined a different forum (not in SDN) that was strictly for pre-med, and well...you guys are right, a lot of them DO think they are bigger than God. I asked a few newbie questions/gave my background/goals/reasoning to get into medicine and wow..I was totally berated and barked at for my 'pipe' dream basically. The impression I got was that I was not even good enough to be in that forum. I deleted it right away.
It made me really discouraged...:mad:
I am leaning more towards pre-Pharm because 1)I will not have to be in school as long 2)not necessarily having to do a residency and 3) the people in pre-Pharm seem really nice, inviting and helpful to my questions. :)

was originally pre-med because i knew nothing else in health care...except maybe being a dentist or opto. Then realized doctors deal with too much BS and to me, the work/education required did not match up with the average physicians pay.

Then realized pharmacists can make over $100k on 40 hours a week, no crazy on call schedules....that got me interested, did some more research, liked the field, and now I'm here making fun of people who can't type proper English even though they were born/raised here :thumb: .

There were many reasons for my switch to pre-pharm :)
1) I wanted to have a career that would give me some sort of flexibility, since I wanted to have some time aside for my family too. Being a physician, there is no guarantee that you would have time for your family or kids.

2) LESS STRESS. Well of course all careers have some kinds stress that comes with it, but compared to medicine, I think I will be more better off as a pharmacist.

3) I also realized that med is just too HARD CORE for me.
But i gotta say, if u really hv a passion to become a physician, you should go ahead with it so that you wont regret it later in life. But for me I know I would regret it if I went ahead with pre-med so I switched to pharmacy and I am happy about it. :D

I went back to school knowing that I wanted to do pre-professional coursework. I also decided it was best to get a bachelors to increase the chances of getting into school and as something to fall back on. I was actually thinking for a long time that I would want to do optometry. But I decided I didn't feel like asking "which one looks better, camera one or camera two?" I know it is a little more involved in that, but I decided that pharmacy involves more chemistry and biology, and more of the even cooler stuff like pharmacology, medicinal chem, etc. The thought of medical school crossed my mind briefly. However, I didn't feel like being that hard core and getting completely burned out. As a pharmacist I would also still be in a position where I could help educate the general public and learn about geeky things that stimulate my cerebrum.