pre-med vs pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllSmiles66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, i'm just wondering you all chose to do dental school rather than go through medical school?

thanks so much for reading this and i look forward to hearing from all your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

AllSmiles66 said:
out of curiosity, i'm just wondering you all chose to do dental school rather than go through medical school?

thanks so much for reading this and i look forward to hearing from all your responses!
There are a variety of reasons, far too many to address in a single response. Your best bet is probably to do a search for "reasons" and see what turns up, since there have been a number of threads like this in the past.

For the same reason I chose not to get a PhD in agricultural science --- I wanted to be a dentist... duh.

Members don't see this ad :)
They actually have very little in common except that we treat the same patients. If you're undecided, then you're obviously going for the "doctor" thing and haven't really explored both professions.

toofache32 said:
They actually have very little in common except that we treat the same patients. If you're undecided, then you're obviously going for the "doctor" thing and haven't really explored both professions.
Thats really untrue...

I've explored both professions but, just as the OP have yet to really make a decission. Some of us are just predisposed to indecisiveness...I cant even choose which way to go to school most mornings. :laugh:

Anyway, being in an oral surgery program. How different does it feel to treat someone medically Vs dentally. I am an EMT so admittedly I have more medical exposure than dental...

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts....

I'll never understand our society's fascination with ranking things. People Magazine's Top 50 Bachelors, ESPNs Top 25 for everything, Forbes 100 Richest people, pre-med vs pre-dent, "is there a listing of dental school rankings". I just don't get it. For 99.9% of posters on this board, both medical and dental students, NONE of us are qualified to assess which is harder because none of us have done both. Who cares what your girlfriend said, what your friend tells you. The cold hard fact is that none of us can ever post a legitimate response because we have not done both. For the select few who have done both, like "waiting" has, even their opinion is just that...an opinion. Just because they feel one was harder vs the other does not mean it's universal. What's difficult to one person, may be easy to another, and vice versa.

I think a lot of the dental people on this board need to get over their inferiority complexes as far as medicine is concerned. Granted *some* MDs may view DDSs as inferior, but as a whole I really think that dental students have an inferiority complex, as if they have to justify why they chose dentistry over medicine. The OP had a legitimate question, and of course those people who freak out when any sentence including medicine and dentistry is posted, all come out to bash. This board has gotten so useless because it is filled with crap like this. There is so little discussion regarding actual dentistry that it's barely worth coming here. Every other thread is a pissing match about which is better, who makes more money, blah blah blah.

Am I the only one who wishes to see less of that garbage and more actual dental discussion?! It's no wonder so few "professionals" post here. I guess that's what dental town is for. I'm surprised Dr. Jeff is around to humor the masses, he must feel like the father of a few hundred.

Amen tarheel! well said....who gives a hoot which is harder/generates more dinero/harder to get into/gets you prettier girls/[add inane comparison here] This forum is designed to help us with everyday, actual dental issues!

To that note, considering how much time I've spent in lab the last few days, does everyone's dental school teach them the bead-box-pour technique for pouring up a fixed pros. (i.e. crown) case?? Our lab tech tried to explain to me an alternative which seemed much better but which I couldn't quite grasp...anyone have alternative methods they use?? Mainly, I'm curious if there's a quicker way to get a base underneath the impression of the arch without sealing rope wax around it, boxing wax, etc.....

waiting said:
To that note, considering how much time I've spent in lab the last few days, does everyone's dental school teach them the bead-box-pour technique for pouring up a fixed pros. (i.e. crown) case?? Our lab tech tried to explain to me an alternative which seemed much better but which I couldn't quite grasp...anyone have alternative methods they use?? Mainly, I'm curious if there's a quicker way to get a base underneath the impression of the arch without sealing rope wax around it, boxing wax, etc.....

I know exactly what Jon or Steve told you, to use that navy blue base mold to pour it up. If you do, make sure to "butter" the base in between your pins... meaning make sure to manually place some stone in between your pins before you flip it into the mold, or else you will get bubbles. I too am searching hard to avoid bead-box-pouring away my life. I was not a big fan of the "new"method because i feel like the orange stone was too high, I had to dig hard to get my dies off the base. Did you have this problem? I followed the directions to pour to the front of the blue base mold. Otherwise, might be an improvement to the alternative if the standard dentistry learning curve runs its necessary course.