Pre naplex score?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Licensure and Exams' started by sgkman, Jul 31, 2015.

1. sgkman

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pharmacist
    Hi guys,

May sound like a pretty repetitive question, but what was the pre-naplex and naplex score correlation for you guys?

I took took pre naplex twice and scored 100 and 98 but I am just a bit worried because I felt like I was guessing on lot of questions but ended doing better than 75. My test is in few days and I am not sure if I feel ready based on my score.

Did you guys think naplex was harder or easier compared to pre naplex

Thanks in advance,

2. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Sgkman,

here are my two cents on this. The Pre-NAPLEX is not a predictor of actual performance on the actual NAPLEX. They differ in nature and purpose. The pre-NAPLEX is not adaptive and it is simply a compilation of retired NAPLEX questions. The NAPLEX is adaptive and it is designed to gauge your knowledge and competency in pharmacy practice (or whatever NABP claims it does). Sure, if you score >90 you should be more prepared than someone who scored 60. One can safely assume that. However, it is not a predictor and attempting to compare them would be no less than comparing apples to oranges.

I took the NAPLEX on Tuesday and will let you know if my pre-NAPLEX score resembles my actual NAPLEX score in any way. Again, I would not get too hung up on your performance on the pre-NAPLEX.

Is one harder than the other? They are not comparable. I took both and again, the NAPLEX adapts to each response that you give. My first question was a calculation and the next 5 questions were HIV, followed by some math and then some Oncology. There is no pre-set order. However, the Pre-NAPLEX does have a pre-set order because it is not adaptive. In fact, only two versions are available.

You took two Pre-NAPLEX exams and became familiar with the format of the questions and gained exposure to retired NAPLEX questions. That's really all that can be said about taking the pre-NAPLEX.

Best,

Apotheker2015

#2 Apotheker2015, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    PharmJunkie likes this.
  3. mfdoom

2+ Year Member

I had the same worries about Pre-Naplex vs. Naplex, but ended up scoring about 20 points higher on the Naplex itself. I took the pretest like 2 days before the real one, so I didn't really progress on studying in that time. What I've heard from friends and these forums is that scoring higher on the actual Naplex seems to be a general trend.

I guessed all over the Pre-Naplex and also the Naplex. Both times I felt like I had no idea what I was doing, but it ended up okay. Is it predictive of the Naplex? Maybe not, but I think taking it made me a little less anxious about the test.

4. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Mfdoom,

may I ask what you scored on your Pre-NAPLEX and NAPLEX?

Best,

Apotheker2015

5. mfdoom

2+ Year Member

Hey, I got 102 on my pretest and 120 on the real one.

6. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    DAMN! Congrats!!! I think it is good for all of us to hear actual numbers to calm our minds. Sure, my question might be deemed tacky but I think it is necessary for all of us to hear it is possible to get through this and do well while we are at it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

7. mfdoom

2+ Year Member

Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean. I was curious about other people's scores before I took it, too -- not so much about the score itself, but more about the passing margin. That might be the case for a lot of people, since there's such a hard cutoff for not passing. Good luck :)

8. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    mfdoom,

that's exactly what I meant! It's more about the passing margin. It seems like everyone ends up being fine.

Best,

Apotheker2015

9. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Sgkman,

here is what I have to report.
    Pre-NAPLEX: 67
    NAPLEX: 107

I do not think there is any correlation at all. That being said, does a score of 100 on the Pre-NAPLEX you may be more prepared who gets a 67, like me? Likely. Does a score of 100 predict that you will get >100 on the NAPLEX? I do not think one can say that. I would say that you are going to be just fine. The one thing about the pre-NAPLEX is that the math is very comparable to the one on the NAPLEX minus the computer adaptive component.

When is your test?

Best,

Apotheker2015

10. naplex destination 2015

Pharmacy Student

11. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Naplex destination 2015,

it looks like you added your message to the quoted text and I just realized that you addressed me on it. First of all, I am truly sorry that you failed the exam. It simply sucks. Now remember, it is a scaled score. So do not get too hung up on thinking that you missed it by 3 points or even 3 questions. Each question is assigned a value based upon its level of difficulty. There really is no way to know because the grading is so mysterious.

I think it would be a good idea to sit and look back at what you think you missed. It does not sound like you had that many math questions. Maybe your math was alright and you fell short in other areas? Or maybe the system caught you were weak in math and decided to give you a chance by answering other questions? I would literally grab the Rxprep book and start flagging the pages where you think your knowledge fell short? The more that you can narrow down the specifics, the better. Do some soul searching here and be honest with yourself. You could ask yourself if you fell short on brand names. I know I had questions that you could not possibly answer unless you actually knew the brand names.

The point I am trying to make here is that you need to figure out where your weaknesses are. Tell me:
    1. Did you go through the entire Rxprep book? If you did not, how many chapters did you go through? Did you focus on what many call the "main chapters"; i.e., Diabetes, HTN, Lipids, etc?
    2. Did you do the entire quizbank? The indications quiz and the Rxprep NAPLEX mock exam?
    3. How did you study?
    4. Were you having trouble with key concepts? Was it math? (When you sit for the NAPLEX there should be no doubts on how to do any of the calculations.

I can tell you that if you put your best foot forward you can pass this exam and never see its face again. I know it must be hard for you right now to deal with the fact that you failed. Do whatever you need to do to get it out of your system and then sit down and come up with a new plan. Whatever you did, did not work. Do not beat yourself over it. You just need a more efficient strategy this time.

Tell me more about your experience. I am happy to help.

Best,

Apotheker2015

PharmJunkie likes this.
  12. naplex destination 2015

Pharmacy Student

13. naplex destination 2015

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks a lot Apothecary for your input.

Frankly speaking I did not leave any chapter. I knew that all the chapters have equal importance. I am bad at maths. Even though I had very few maths. I was bombarded on maths towards the end. Back to back 10 q I did get. Coming to the clinical part, I was covered on all areas nothing specific. I got HIV around 5 q and onco 5. I was not bombarded on the same topic. I dont know if you get more q on particular area that means you are going right or wrong? I know where I went wrong. I went wrong on select all that apply q. I got almost 15 of them and I guess I made only few of them right. When I do rx prep q bank some chapters I am really thorough whereas some chapters I am really lacking some key concepts. I am trying to analyse things much better when doing the q bank. How much do you think is a good score on the q bank. I was able to get only 57 on the rxprep 185 q.

Thank you

14. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I will respond in a bit.

15. naplex destination 2015

Pharmacy Student
    If you dont mind Apothecary can I have your email if or facebook id so that I can send a message on that. I feel comfortable sending a message on either of them. I dont know how this SDN really works. I just follow the the suggestion students post regarding NAPLEX. It will be easy for me to ask any question on FB or email.

Thanks a lot for your patience and support

16. Apotheker2015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hey,

not a problem. I am glad to be helpful. To answer your question regarding getting more and more questions on a topic, I think you can tell if you are doing better if the questions are getting harder and more specific. However, if the questions within a topic are getting easier then, it's a sign that the system is trying to determine where your knowledge stops. Say, you get asked about a mas dose of rosuvastatin when given with X drug. Say you miss it. Then the system asks if there is an interaction between the drug class that drug X belongs to; i.e., that just got easier because maybe you don't know drug X but you know that this drug class does interact with rosuvastatin. So say you don't recognize that. Then the system will likely ask you what a statin is. And please see that I am trying to illustrate how the computer adaptive system may lay things out if you're missing questions within a topic.

In terms of the Rxprep 185 question mock exam, I did that without looking anything up and scored a 69%. It was nothing stellar. However, I ALWAYS looked up every answer, made sure I'd understand it and I wrote it down on a document of key points that I created. My point is that scores on quizzes mean nothing unless you look up the answer to the questions you missed.
    I say that for now, let's keep the exchange within the cyber limits of the forum. Feel free to start a conversation. If you click on Inbox, you will see "start a conversation" and that is the equivalent of a private message. Only I can read that.

Best,

Apotheker2015

#16 Apotheker2015, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015