Pre Op C Spine X Ray

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonny Crocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which patients do you guys routinely get c spines for? We get them for rheumatoid arthritis and downs patients. But I have also seen people get them for psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Likewise, routinely, none.

Likewise, routinely, none.
So when do you get the C spine? Only if the patient is symptomatic? I ask because we get them done routinely and I have seen patients sent back to the floor from the OR because they haven't had the x ray done. I totally disagree with this and think the study is almost pointless. Half the time the films aren't even taken in flexion and extension.

Really? What about possible atlanto axial instability?

How is it going to change my management? I do an airway exam focused on neck extension. If any doubt, I go conservative with a CMAC or fiber optic and maintain neck neutrality like their head would pop off if I torque too hard.

Reactions: 1 user
X-ray? Really?

That's just sad. Save the $150 and just pretend it's bad. Clinical eval plus inline stabilization equals success.

What could an x- ray tell you that will change your management away from what's been said? I don't mean that hypothetically. I'm open to some education.

I'm open to some education.

Rheumatoid is a disease of the interjoint spaces with varying degrees of advancement. Not all rheumatoid arthritis is to the point where you've got patients crippled, swan neck deformities, etc

An awake patient in the upright position benefits from the neck musculature holding things in place. When you paralyze them to put the tube in, you take that out of the equation.

A flex-ex c-spine xray will tell you what degree of laxity already exists (i.e. how unstable they're going to be after the roc's kicked-in). Having said that this was advocated in a time when we didn't have a Glidescope in every OR. At this point it might be more prudent just keep every rheumatoid patient's neck in neutral position and use a device the requires little manipulation of the neck.

So if I'm hearing you correctly, Buzz, an x-ray won't change the management outlined above.

I'm aware of the risks and historical issues, but with a modern glidescope or other video intubation device, the x-ray doesn't add anything to change the clinical management.

Or am I still missing something?

Last edited:
I've consulted neurosurgery on at least five patients in my four year career (granted I attend the pre-op clinic once a week and see 50+ pts a day there).

My criteria is anyone who has had the disease >10 years or are on multimodal therapy. I would much rather know preop that a patient has significant subluxation then have a quad patient after surgery. I probably send one patient for flex-ext films every few weeks. I've seen some pretty bad disease in patients with NO symptoms.

Sure, you can just use precautions but I bet your glidescope intubations move the neck more then you realize. If your pt has 6mm or more of subluxation, this could lead to cord compression. It only takes one.

I actually wrote a practice advisory with one of the neurosurgeons on this very topic.

I've consulted neurosurgery on at least five patients in my four year career (granted I attend the pre-op clinic once a week and see 50+ pts a day there).

My criteria is anyone who has had the disease >10 years or are on multimodal therapy. I would much rather know preop that a patient has significant subluxation then have a quad patient after surgery. I probably send one patient for flex-ext films every few weeks. I've seen some pretty bad disease in patients with NO symptoms.

Sure, you can just use precautions but I bet your glidescope intubations move the neck more then you realize. If your pt has 6mm or more of subluxation, this could lead to cord compression. It only takes one.

I actually wrote a practice advisory with one of the neurosurgeons on this very topic.
So we should believe you because you wrote a practice advisory?

My approach, if the airway looks difficult and the disease is severe or at least bad enough to warrant caution then I may get the X-ray. But this won't change a single thing. If I'm worried, I either do an awake FOI or a Glidescope asleep with zero extension. I've never had an issue. And I understand that "never" doesn't mean crap. But that's my approach.

I don't understand delaying or even canceling a case for this. If you are that worried just act as though the X-ray was positive for instability. Now preceded. IMO when someone orders a test like this at the last minute or even cancels the case because it wasn't done, they are looking for a reason not to do the case. Either they are afraid or they are lazy. We need to change our perspective in this specialty. We need to be looking for ways to do cases, not to cancel them.

Reactions: 1 users

I have never requested neck x rays for a case.

I have never seen anyone request neck x rays for any case.

I didn't even know people still insist on those. My understanding is that was popular in the 80's but faded away with time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I ask because we get them done routinely and I have seen patients sent back to the floor from the OR because they haven't had the x ray done.

This is nuts. If the concern is so great why not get an xray instead of sending them back?

I have never requested neck x rays for a case.

I have never seen anyone request neck x rays for any case.

I didn't even know people still insist on those. My understanding is that was popular in the 80's but faded away with time.

I don't remember seeing it in the 80's either.

If you think that there is cervical pathology that could make the intubation difficult or dangerous then just assume the worst and be prepared for it.
An X ray is not going to change anything.

So we should believe you because you wrote a practice advisory?

My approach, if the airway looks difficult and the disease is severe or at least bad enough to warrant caution then I may get the X-ray. But this won't change a single thing. If I'm worried, I either do an awake FOI or a Glidescope asleep with zero extension. I've never had an issue. And I understand that "never" doesn't mean crap. But that's my approach.

I don't understand delaying or even canceling a case for this. If you are that worried just act as though the X-ray was positive for instability. Now preceded. IMO when someone orders a test like this at the last minute or even cancels the case because it wasn't done, they are looking for a reason not to do the case. Either they are afraid or they are lazy. We need to change our perspective in this specialty. We need to be looking for ways to do cases, not to cancel them.

When did I ever say I cancelled a case or did this test last minute - so much judgement on this page sometimes. We see patients several days to a week before their surgery. Yeah, I postponed a case in a RA pt who had 8 mm of subluxation and sent her to neurosurgery (by the way she had no symptoms with flexion on airway exam - if we would have positioned her in just the slightest wrong way, she would have been paralyzed). Sorry, I don't want my patients waking up paralyzed from a completely elective case. And sure you can do it awake or with in-line stabilization if you are concerned but I would rather know before then after.

You don't have to believe me - I really don't care. We had lots of questions regarding this issue in our department and I was asked to write this based on a literature review (of which there is very little) in conjunction with one of our neurosurgeons who also had an interest.

If you think that there is cervical pathology that could make the intubation difficult or dangerous then just assume the worst and be prepared for it.
An X ray is not going to change anything.

It may have you think about consulting a spine surgeon if the subluxation is severe enough.

I would never order flex-ex films because they don't change my management. If I'm worried enough clinically, I just pretend they have the worst neck imaginable and treat them as such.

When did I ever say I cancelled a case or did this test last minute - so much judgement on this page sometimes. We see patients several days to a week before their surgery. Yeah, I postponed a case in a RA pt who had 8 mm of subluxation and sent her to neurosurgery (by the way she had no symptoms with flexion on airway exam - if we would have positioned her in just the slightest wrong way, she would have been paralyzed). Sorry, I don't want my patients waking up paralyzed from a completely elective case. And sure you can do it awake or with in-line stabilization if you are concerned but I would rather know before then after.

You don't have to believe me - I really don't care. We had lots of questions regarding this issue in our department and I was asked to write this based on a literature review (of which there is very little) in conjunction with one of our neurosurgeons who also had an interest.
Find me a case report or a closed claim where somebody got paralyzed from an intubation.

Find me a case report or a closed claim where somebody got paralyzed from an intubation.
I can't. And the thing that drives me crazy about my partner who is obsessed with these x rays is that he doesn't even understand them. So long as the radiologist has written "no evidence of Atlanto axial subluxation" he's happy. Forget if the picture was taken in neutral, flexion or extension.

Great hearing all points of view.

So if I'm hearing you correctly, Buzz, an x-ray won't change the management outlined above.

I'm aware of the risks and historical issues, but with a modern glidescope or other video intubation device, the x-ray doesn't add anything to change the clinical management.

Or am I still missing something?

It's called C-Y-A.

I'm not an advocate for making clinical decisions for the lawyers, but if you get sued because they claim a deficit after surgery (not paralyzation even necessarily) I don't know if you can defend not doing in patients with advanced disease.

It's been described in exquisite detail as far back as 1969. And, unless the disease has changed dramatically since then...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1031174/pdf/annrheumd00236-0049.pdf

Paralyzed? Not well-described in the closed-claims database but also not 100% concluded that it hasn't happened. So no one can say that with certainty.

The ASA closed claims analyses by Caplan et al. [6] and Kroll et al. [7] document adverse respiratory and neurologic events in patients who underwent an anesthetic but in whom known or suspected chronic disease of the cervical spine was not discussed. Difficult tracheal intubation occurred in 87 cases (or 17%) of 522 closed respiratory claims and in 6% or 87 of all (1541) closed claims examined for the 10-year period, 1975-1985. The criteria for "difficulty" were not specified. Ninety-four of the same 522 cases (18%) were esophageal intubations. Kroll et al. [7] also had reported that 227, or 15%, of the same 1541 claims had nerve injuries and that 13 of those 227 nerve-injured patients (6%) claimed damage to the spinal cord, although the type and causal factors were not mentioned. Whether chronic cervical spine disease leads to a higher incidence of esophageal intubation, difficult tracheal intubation, or cervical spinal cord injuries is not established.

But, this alone may be enough:

Wattenmaker et al. [14] performed a retrospective study of 128 rheumatoid arthritic patients who had undergone posterior cervical spine surgery. They observed a lower incidence of postextubation airway obstruction in patients tracheally intubated with the aid of a fiberoptic bronchoscope (one of 70) than in those intubated by direct larnygoscopy (eight of 58).

http://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-...mplications_of_Chronic_Disease_of_the.38.aspx

Last edited:
I've consulted neurosurgery on at least five patients in my four year career (granted I attend the pre-op clinic once a week and see 50+ pts a day there)... I've seen some pretty bad disease in patients with NO symptoms...I actually wrote a practice advisory with one of the neurosurgeons on this very topic.

Your implication is that the neurosurgeons are taking and fusing these asymptomatic patients with "bad" disease...is that actually the case?

If they have no symptoms with extensive flexion and extension...who the f**k cares?

I didn't say you did. And I wasn't judging you for canceling a case. The "you" I used was a general address meaning "anyone". Maybe there is a lot of judgement on the page but there is even more sensitivity.
You posted something on a general website for all to see. Expect someone to disagree with you. And don't get bent out of shape about it.

There may not be any cases of paralysis after intubation but it may not be recognized as these patients often die as a presenting symptom when complete subluxation occurs. If you pub med search sudden death and rheumatoid arthritis you will be surprised.

Can't access the actual case report (not at work currently) - here is one of sudden death: http://journals.lww.com/spinejourna...D__Sudden_Death_from_Cord_Compression.17.aspx

If your colleagues are just looking for a note in the chart and order the incorrect studies, maybe educate them. That doesn't make any sense and is a waste of time and money.

Here is the advisory I wrote. Take it or leave it. I usually don't practice in a CYA manner - I do what I feel is right for the patient (and what I would want if I had a specific disease/condition). Having said that, if it is a same day case and I can't wait for an x-ray (which by the way takes less then 30 minutes if ordered correctly), then yes - do the precautions. But make sure you don't move that neck after intubation (positioning can cause some major neck movement too). Additionally, be prepared to have difficulty with the airway because subluxation isn't the only problem these patients have with their airways.

Introduction

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic systemic inflammatory disease of unknown etiology with an incidence of approximately 1.5/100K in men and 3.6/100K in women. RA is characterized by destruction of primarily small synovial joints, resulting in fibrosis and hypertrophy. RA typically presents with persistent, painful swelling of the joints with morning stiffness. Patients can present with multiple organ systems affected by both the disease and the treatments for the disease.

Particularly relevant to anesthesiologists is the impact the disease has on the airway; both the cervical spine and the larynx. Radiological studies of patients with RA suggest that up to 80% have some disease involvement of the cervical spine and up to 30% may have instability. Of those patients with cervical spine disease, roughly 40-85% will complain of neck pain while only 7-13% of patients with radiographic evidence of instability have neurologic deficits. It is estimated that up to 10% of patients with RA die from unrecognized brainstem or spinal cord compression. Temporomandibular joint dysfunction may produce arthritis with limitations on mouth opening and cricoarytenoid disorders are seen in as many as 75% of patients resulting in decreased movement and possibly difficulty with airway manipulation. Rheumatoid involvement of the cervical facet joints can lead to stenosis of the nearby vertebral arteries causing varying degrees of symptoms from vertebral artery insufficiency and spinal cord ischemia.

Head and neck manipulation during airway management and patient positioning can result in neurologic injury. Fortunately, serious complications are rare.

History and Physical:

- Thorough history including severity and duration of disease, drug treatments and systemic review of complications.

- Vertebral artery insufficiency: vestibular or visual changes, vertigo, dysphagia, tinnitus, dysarthria and loss of consciousness.

- Cervical Spine: o Atlantoaxial (C1-C2) subluxations may be asymptomatic or may cause various vague complaints such as a ‘deep ache’ in the occiput or cervical spine. Myelopathic symptoms such as hand clumsiness or paresthesias and gait dysfunction, specifically a wide based gait, should be investigated with an MRI and treated.

o Cranial settling may occur. The odontoid ascends into the foramen magnum and can cause brainstem compression. Signs and symptoms of myelopathy signal the need for evaluation and treatment.

o Subaxial subluxations can be unstable and cause canal stenosis and spinal cord compression. Most commonly this occurs at C4-5. Again, signs and symptoms of myelopathy require evaluation and treatment.

- Temporomandibular joint: arthritis can result in limited mouth opening.

- Cricoarytenoid: symptoms are rarely severe but may include a sense of fullness in the throat, dysphagia, exertional dyspnea, hoarseness and rarely stridor with upper airway obstruction.

Tests and Studies:

- Cervical spine X-rays: o Most common abnormality found is atlanotaxial subluxation.

o Obtain upright flexion-extension films for diagnosis.

o Normal anterior atlantodental interval (ADI) is less than 4mm.

- MRI: o Poor correlation between MRI changes and clinical symptoms.

o The benefit of the MRI is that it visualizes the soft tissues including the spinal cord. Stenosis with spinal cord compression can be seen and the patient referred to a spine surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Management:

There are absolutely no guidelines or randomized controlled trials suggesting when to obtain radiographic studies of the cervical spine, specifically x-rays in preparation for surgery. A review of the literature finds varying opinions; some researchers state that obtaining C-spine X-rays is “mandatory prior to anesthesia … since instability can be completely asymptomatic” while others recommend assessing on a case by case basis. Almost all agree that in patients with neurologic symptoms, x-rays should be ordered and neurosurgical/orthopedic spine consult. Best practice standards suggest that the anesthesiologist obtain x-rays for any patient that has had Rheumatoid Arthritis for greater than ten years or has had poor control of the disease. Any patient with neurologic symptoms or signs should have an MRI and evaluation by a spine surgeon.

Determining when to perform surgical stabilization of patients with significant c-spine disease is difficult due to the lack of correlation between radiographic and neurologic progression. Generally, operative management should be considered for patients with atlantoaxial subluxations greater than 8mm or any patient with myelopathic symptoms or signs.

Whenever possible, surgical procedures not associated with the spine should be performed using regional anesthesia to minimize airway manipulation. However, there is always the possibility of difficult or impossible regional placement (especially neuraxial) and the dreaded complication of local anesthetic toxicity which presents the provider with an potentially difficult airway which now needs to be secured emergently. If endotracheal anesthesia must be performed, the “sniffing” position should be avoided since it can worsen subluxation and cause spinal cord compression. One should always have adjunctive airway devices available, specifically the fiberoptic scope. Consideration to inline stabilization should be made in all rheumatoid patients with elective fiberoptic intubation being preferred due to little neck manipulation needed.

Referral to surgeon:

Any patient with RA and an abnormal ADI (> 4mm), cranial settling, or subaxial subluxation should be referred for consultation to a spine surgeon. Also, any patient with myelopathic symptoms by history or signs on exam should be referred to a spine surgeon. These include hand clumsiness, gait dysfunction, pathologic reflexes, and brisk reflexes or clonus.

References:

1. Wasko, Mary M. "Perioperative Management of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis." Perioperative Management of Patients with Rheumatic Disease. By Lisa L. Schroeder. Vol. XIV. New York: Springer, 2012. 209-20. Print.

2. Samanta, R., K. Shoukrey, and R. Griffiths. "Rheumatoid Arthritis and Anaesthesia." Anaesthesia 66 (2011): 1146-159. Print.

3. Skues, M. A., and E. A. Welchew. "Anaesthesia and Rheumatoid Arthritis." Anaesthesia 48.11 (1993): 989-97. Print.

4. Dreyer, Susan J., and Scott D. Boden. "Natural History of Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Cervical Spine." Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 366 (1999): 98-106. Print.

5. Vieira, Eneida M., Stuart Goodman, and Pedro P. Tanaka. "Anesthesia and Rheumatoid Arthritis." Revista Brasileira De Anesesiologia 61.3 (2011): 367-75. Print.

6. Schur, Peter H., and Bradford L. Currier. "Cervical Subluxation in Rheumatoid Arthritis." Cervical Subluxation in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Penn State Medical Center, 11 Dec. 2012. Web. 17 May 2013.

7. Menezes, Arnold H.” Rheumalological Disorders.” In Principles of Spinal Surgery. Menenzes, Arnold H, Sonntag, Volker K.H. ed. pp. 705-722.

8. Greenberg, Mark S. Handbook of Neurosurgery. Pp. 338-340.