Pre optometry application (question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cldud

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm graduating end of this month with bachelor in biology. My current GPA is 3.2ish and planning to take the OAT next year. My question is, many optometry schools require microbiology and biochemistry as prerequisite. I took those two courses this semester but I had to drop them because it was just too overwhelming and difficult with other classes together. If I want to apply to optometry school that requires these classes, can I still take it after the application? Or do I have to take microbiology and biochemistry before the application process? Also, do I even have a chance to get into any optometry school with my current GPA (3.2). Because I see the averages GPA admitted applicants were around 3.5 and up. I have worked at optometry office about 4 years now and I need to decide whether I should pursue of going to optometry school because I'm turning 29 next year and need to think of backup plans.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would need to check each schools website to see if those courses are required. Idk about biochem but I know most schools require micro with lab. But again, you would need to check each schools website. As long as you finish the courses BEFORE you START optometry school (if that school requires them) you can apply without having taken those courses yet. I think your gpa is fine. Just try and get 300-320 on your OAT.