pre-optometry concerns please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remy1216

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Im a Junior right now who is going for optometry. long story short this summer will be my third time taking organic chemistry 1. its the only class I haven't passed. I was supposed to take my OAT this summer and start applying but I chose to take an extra year and retake a few classes, I got C's in both Chem 1 and Chem 2 because of health and personal problems. But those were my only C's/ low grades I've ever gotten other than organic chem. Can someone please give me the honest truth. Will optometry schools even look at me since I'm taking orgo chem for the third time? I have a 3.3 GPA as of now and have been working as an optician for over 2 years. Thanks to anyone who answers!

Members don't see this ad.

You're gpa is fine. If this is your third time taking Organic chemistry, make sure to do well on that section on the OAT and as well as making at the very least a B in the class. You should get interviews and just explain why you took it 3 times ( i took it twice and they asked me why, it was brutal but i was honest and was accepted).

Oh and I did well on the organic chemistry section on the OAT with a 340
P.S. one of the OD's that interviewed me said they barely remember anything from ochem lol

Reactions: 1 user
You're gpa is fine. If this is your third time taking Organic chemistry, make sure to do well on that section on the OAT and as well as making at the very least a B in the class. You should get interviews and just explain why you took it 3 times ( i took it twice and they asked me why, it was brutal but i was honest and was accepted).

Oh and I did well on the organic chemistry section on the OAT with a 340
P.S. one of the OD's that interviewed me said they barely remember anything from ochem lol
thank you so much!! I'm definitely going to do better this time and I'm going to try to bring my gpa up if i can!