Pre-Optometry Program an advantage to Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will going to a university with Pre-optometry program increase the chance of getting into a optometry school? I want to go to University of Washington, but it doesn't has a pre-optometry program. So I wonder if it's better to go to a school with one.

Also, will going to an Ivy league college increase the chance of getting into a good optometry school like Berkeley?

Sorry for so many questions:)

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't matter. My school didn't have a pre-opt club either.

If you're going to go to an Ivy League make sure you can keep your GPA up.

ivy league schools certainly stand out on an application, but JMU is right..make sure you can keep the GPA up.
my school didn't have a pre-optometry anything, and it was no big deal. just do well in your pre-requisites and you'll be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing well where you go is more important than where you go. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have done well at an Ivy League college. As for whether you are or aren't in some "pre-opt." program, I think it wouldn't matter: what's important is the classes you take -- these "programs" just help you to schedule those classes.

There's a pre-opt club at my university and I took over as President and I'm pretty sure it helped me out during the applications/interview process. Getting in contact with the schools can get your name out there...for example...I hosted a meeting with the founding Dean of Western U four days before my interview there. When I was there, she introduced herself to everyone and came over to be with a nice to see you again...so clearly she remembered me, which, may or may not have given me an advantage (I did end up getting in). Seeing presentations from each of the schools and asking questions was also helpful earlier in my schooling. As for if your school doesn't have a club...start one! That would look really great on your application with leadership qualities and dedication to the profession!

I don't think it matters as long as you get good grades and a good OAT score. I did all my prereqs at a community college and was able to get into optometry school.

Agreed. A pre-opt program will only help you get all the pre-req classes done and nothing more. You can do that on your own. A pre-opt CLUB however (which isn't what you asked about) could be beneficial in getting you some exposure to the optometric field. But, there are a bagillion universities that don't have these and we all did fine. I didn't even go to a big, well known or respected school and got in just fine.

My fault that I thought the thread was asking about a club, now I see that the question was actually a program. A program just gets you focused on what pre-reqs to take, you can essentially come up with that yourself or with help of an advisor.