pre-optometry schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramona_k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the school with a solid pre-optometry program and lots of pre-optometry related opportunities? Is there a school with a lot of its pre-optometry students marticulating? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-optometry programs are virtually nonexistant, and they don't matter really. We had a few optometry related activities that globbed on to the premed society on campus. We had optometrists come in to speak about once or twice a semester and the premed advisor was nice enough to take about 3 or 4 of us to an open house at UAB.

ramona_k said:
What is the school with a solid pre-optometry program and lots of pre-optometry related opportunities? Is there a school with a lot of its pre-optometry students marticulating? thanks.

Most schools do have pre-med program and they perpare you both for med schools, opt schools, and dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools have a really good pre-optometry organization called POPS. A lot of the people in my class were active members. That’s about the only well organized pre-optometry organization that I’ve seen.

J.opt said:
Texas schools have a really good pre-optometry organization called POPS. A lot of the people in my class were active members. That’s about the only well organized pre-optometry organization that I’ve seen.

I'm pretty sure Berkeley has a similar undergrad organization as well.. if I recall correctly.

Thanks everyone for your input, How do you percieve Indiana's program? I've read somewhere that they have this early decision program ( 40 credit hrs with a min of 3.5). Is that program very competative to get into? and also about Texas school's program that you mentioned does Texas A&M have POPS as well? Thanks again.

It is kinda hard to find pre-optometry students. My brother (who's intrested in optometry) is applying to schools (for his undergrad) and I thought Indiana has a good pre-optometry program. He doesn't wanna go so far south to Texas or to north east schools. anyways, thanks again for replying! :)

thanks, has anyone here attended Nova for undergrad or is currently attending Nova opometry? what are your thoughts on their program?