pre-pharm candicacy opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

j.s.o.f.l.y.

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am recently pre-pharm and have already graduated from college. I just took my pcat and received a 92 composite score. I have a few questions about the pcat and pharm school.

1 ) Do schools look at the subsection scores? Or is it just the composite score that's counted? And what weight does the essay have in the pcat? I have gotten mixed answers and I hope someone can clarify.

2) I have to take post-bac classes to fulfill the pharmacy requirements in the near future. Will that be factored into my undergraduate GPA or will that be a separate GPA? And how will the schools look at my undergraduate grades and my postbac grades? My GPA is a 3.53 by the way.

3) I have no extracurricular specific to pharmacy except 500 hours of biochemistry research and volunteering /shadowing at a clinic. Is that ok? I wasn't a member of any pharmacy clubs at my school because I wasn't prepharm at the time.

4) Does it help if a family member such as a parent or uncle/aunt is a pharmacist?

5) Is it ok if I applied to pharm school now, or so it too late this cycle?

Thanks all 🙂