Pre-Pharm Memberships?

Started by rxdude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxdude

California Love
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any organizations (clubs, associations, etc) that I can join as a pre-pharm student to help make me a stronger candidate for entrance into pharmacy school? I've looked into a few of them and they were only for students already in pharmacy school. Any input would be appreciated.
 
I was in NCPA (National Community Pharmacists Association) and ACS (American Chemical Society) as an undergrad. A few of my classmates were in APhA (American Pharmacists Association). I don't think that they restrict membership to most clubs. You might have to get a different type of membership, or pay different dues, but you should be able to join. Some schools have a pre-pharm or pre-professional society too. I was also in that, and it was pretty interesting. We brought in professional students from all over and interviewed them about their class/social lives/application process. Sometimes they offered application/essay workshops, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was going to start a pre-pharm club at my university - except for one minor problem....I was the only pre-pharm student! Now that I think about it though, I should've started one because then I would have made myself president and I would have never been late to or missed my own "meetings". 😀
 
Are you just talking about pharmacy specific clubs? If not, I highly recommend being involved with your student government and different clubs offered at your school. I think the adcoms really like to see involvement in things like that.