Pre pharm prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

valdee2006

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I,ve been visiting SDN for a while now and finally I have a question. I am currently taking prereqs for Pharmacy at a local community college and while talking with a co-worker, he stated that Pharmacy Schools frown on student(such as myself) who already holds a Bachelor's degree(BSN) and then seek to complete prereqs from a two-year junior college. He stated that it looks bad,... :laugh: it looks as if I wasn't trying. My question therefore, is there any validity to this comment and if so should I transfer to a four-year university? Thanking you in advance
 
Hi valdee, how many years out of school are you (when did you earn your BS). Also, do you have a BS in Nursing, and are currently employed as a nurse? Are you retaking prereqs from your undergrad, or is this the first time you are taking this coursework?
 
Thanks, LVPharm that was prompt. I am an RN with 9 years of work experience and a completed BSN in 2002(ASN 1995 prior to BSN). I am currently working as as an RN while seeking employment as a CPhT. I have been taking pre-pharm prereqs for almost a year and a half with hopes of applying to Pharmacy School next year. Do you have any advice or insights regarding what Pharmacy Schools look for when reviewing prereqs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a BS back in '95, and went back to a JC to finish certain prereqs while I worked. Many people in my class don't even have a baccalaureate degree, instead they did their prereqs at JCs. The current trend is preference towards bachelor degree holders. You already have one. Not only that, but you have almost a decades worth of experience in the front lines of healthcare. It can't possibly look like you didn't even try, since you've been through it before. I really don't think anyone would hold it against you for taking those needed prereqs at a JC. Going back to a four year where I used to live would be expensive, as I would need to take those classes through extension or as a postbacc student. It's impractical...a waste of your time and your money to go back to a 4 year university to fulfill the handfull of prereqs you need to get into pharmacy school. Just work your butt off where you are right now 😉 Good luck!
 
Thank you again, LVPharm. You are absolutely right regarding the expense and that is one of the many reasons i chose JC( driving expense,tuitions,time of day classes offered and working full-time, etc.).And THANKS AGAIN. I will continue to work hard on the prereqs!!!! 👍