1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Pharm vs. Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by JordanP, Jul 17, 2006.

1. JordanP

JordanP Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hi Everyone, I am starting Pharmacy School in a few weeks, and I was just wondering - because I totally do not know what to expect - Did you find Pharmacy School much more difficult than Undergraduate or vice versa?

I guess I am just trying to find out so I do not get shocked when I start.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Jordan.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It probably depends on where you went to undergrad as to whether or not you will think it is more difficult.

I think in general pharmacy school is more difficult, but for me I do much better since the classes are more relevant to what I want to be doing once I graduate.

The big thing with pharmacy school is that you have to adjust to huge amounts of material to study for the exams. As long as you study well in advance you'll do fine. I know lots of people that can still get by with studying a night or two before the exam, but it causes them lots of stress and they usually don't do as well.

4. kellia

kellia aspiring pharmacist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I did a search for you, there was a thread a few months ago that has some info...
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=271175&highlight=hard

5. JordanP

JordanP Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thank You So Much! I appreciate it, I guess this is sometimes the favorite question to ask :D We are always scared of the unknown, I am trying not to drive myself crazy before it actually starts.

6. pharmdgto

pharmdgto resident drug pusher
    2+ Year Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. To me pharmacy school wasn't all that difficult except for getting up at 4 am in the morning to catch a train that was 1 & 1/2 one way down to chicago for 8 am classes. That was the hardest part. First year was a breeze, as most of it is just review of organo chem and some introductory classes. My school didn't hit the good stuff about meds until the 2nd year. This is where we started our PDAT's (don't remembe what it stood for) but it was basically all information on chemical strutures, struture function relationship, uses, contraindications, warnings, side effects, etc of all the major drug classes. This also included pathophysiology of the disease and other good stuff. It wasn't all that hard until you hit cancer, HIV/Aids, renal, electrolytes and solid organ transplant.

Just sit back and stockpile the 190 page double sided handouts and enjoy. Remember the tests are multiple choice probably or at least mine were...hehe

7. Shizelbs

Shizelbs Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Holy smokes, pre pharm was sooo much easier than pharmacy school. Night and day difference.

8. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It really depends on how hard prepharm was for you, where you went, and where you are going. But the general verdict seems to be it is similar or a little harder.