Pre-Pharmacy Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beansprout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get some really honest feedback? How hard is the Pre-Pharmacy Program? I'll be attending the University of Arizona in the Fall, and I'd like to know how severe the curriculum is. Does anyone know the statistics of how many students who start in Pre-Pharmancy drop out after the first year? Does anyone know any specifics of UA's program? As you can probably tell, I'm a little nervous about college.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't have any statistics but I do know that most college professors try to eliminate most of the pre-professional students by making the courses very difficult. I've seen a lot of people change majors because of this. They do this not to break your dreams, but make you realize that if you cannot handle the pre-professional curriculum, then how will you survive in the professional schools?

I think what really judges an individual on whether they'd succeed in the pre-pharmacy program, in college, is if they've done well in difficult high school math and science courses. If you have a forte for biology, chemistry, anatomy, calculus, etc. then you will succeed. But if someone's doing this just of the money aspect of it, then they'll hate it. So think hard before you commit yourself to this. Hope that helps!

VP Pharm has pointed a very true fact that most science professors will be very hard on students to eliminate the number of students who try to pursue professional schools.

How hard is it? The answer actually depends on a lot of variable, such as how competitive the school is, how hard the teacher for that course is, how heavy the course materials are...so on. Also, it depends on your background and interest too. Some of my friends love chemistry in general; so they'd love to look at the homework and tests...while others don't ....

Just take the classes and see if you are okay...

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. As you can telll, my anxiety level is very high, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

First off take a deep breath and count to 10 :) It'll be alright and you'll get through it. As was stated out there are many factors but the biggest thing you need to consider is how bad you want it. If this is something that you definately want to do, you'll jump through whatever hoops you need to. I remember sitting in your shoes watching many friends who didn't really have their hearts set on pre-med, drop like flies when it got hard. If this is what you want to do you'll find a way and you'll get through it. Just remember that when mid-terms or finals are coming up. Also, remember that many have came and completed those classes before you, so you can too. Hope that helped a bit. School is sometimes only has hard as you make it (i.e. waiting to the last minute is a no-no for most people)!

~Pam

just do your best and hope for the best. for some people (like me), its damn near impossible to get A's in all of your pre-req's. Many times you will study for hours and hours only to barely get a B- while you see first year students set the top of the curve for your class. It can be frustrating and I have still not figured out how to get an A. The best I have done is a B. I started out with 4 C's but have recently gotten nothing lower than a B-. My advice is don't take chem I lightly. It may seem hard at first but it will be the EASIEST pre-req class you will take. so get your A's and B's while the getting is easy.

I am more than half way done with my pre-req's and I have learned to give up 75% of my social life. During midterm weeks and finals, I spend Friday, Sat, and Sun nights studying at the library (yay for 24 hr room). I spend the day sleeping and relaxing but when night time comes, I study until my eyes and brain hurts. I also study an avg of at least 4-5 hrs a week for each subject. When you have an "easy" week with no midterms or tests, TAKE ADVANTAGE! read half the chapters or do 1/3 of the hw.

oh yeah, office hours! professors, TA's, tutors, etc. use them ALL!

and lastly, good luck. because no matter how hard you study, sometimes the difference between an B and a C can be on the professor you take since some are WAY easier than others.

oh yeah, READ THE BOOK and DO as many hw problems as sample tests are u can. I learned that its almost a guaranteed B if you do all that.

FORGOT TO ADD: I got to UC Davis and they offer workshops for science and math courses. basically extra classes! ;) If your school offers those, take them. It's an extra 2 hrs a week of "studying". basically reiterates lectures and gives us tips. can be boring but in o-chem, theres so much info that any extra help is worth the time.

The show of support on this board is wonderful... Thank you! I'll certainly take everyone's advice.

VP Pharm has pointed a very true fact that most science professors will be very hard on students to eliminate the number of students who try to pursue professional schools.

How hard is it? The answer actually depends on a lot of variable, such as how competitive the school is, how hard the teacher for that course is, how heavy the course materials are...so on. Also, it depends on your background and interest too. Some of my friends love chemistry in general; so they'd love to look at the homework and tests...while others don't ....

Just take the classes and see if you are okay...

Good luck.

Hi guys,
I'm in a very bad predicament. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for 2 years. I will graduate with a biology degree this summer. However my college years have not been so great. I had many obstacles my way being the eldest child I had to work full time as well as be a full time student. I came from a family where domestic violence was an everyday thing and my dad was an alcoholic. He passed away last year and things got worse. But through all these hardships and financial problems I decided to still pursue a degree despite the many times I wanted to give up. But I always wanted to be a pharmacist and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was young. I didn't want the troubles at home to be a reason as to why I didn't achieve my goals. However even though I'm graduating with a biology degree my transcript is not so great. I'm graduating with a 2.1 cumulative gpa. I know for a fact no pharmacy school will take me. Please someone tell me if I can get a second chance at my dreams to be a pharmacist. What should be my next step after graduating with a biology degree? Should I take over all those classes I did poorly in over at a community college and aim for nothing let's than A? But I hear no matter what PharmCAS averages every grade. So if I had an F, then a C and I take the class over at a community college and get an A, how significantly will that change my grade on PharmCAS? People deserve second chances at life and I really wish I can fix my situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!

just do your best and hope for the best. for some people (like me), its damn near impossible to get A's in all of your pre-req's. Many times you will study for hours and hours only to barely get a B- while you see first year students set the top of the curve for your class. It can be frustrating and I have still not figured out how to get an A. The best I have done is a B. I started out with 4 C's but have recently gotten nothing lower than a B-. My advice is don't take chem I lightly. It may seem hard at first but it will be the EASIEST pre-req class you will take. so get your A's and B's while the getting is easy.

I am more than half way done with my pre-req's and I have learned to give up 75% of my social life. During midterm weeks and finals, I spend Friday, Sat, and Sun nights studying at the library (yay for 24 hr room). I spend the day sleeping and relaxing but when night time comes, I study until my eyes and brain hurts. I also study an avg of at least 4-5 hrs a week for each subject. When you have an "easy" week with no midterms or tests, TAKE ADVANTAGE! read half the chapters or do 1/3 of the hw.

oh yeah, office hours! professors, TA's, tutors, etc. use them ALL!

and lastly, good luck. because no matter how hard you study, sometimes the difference between an B and a C can be on the professor you take since some are WAY easier than others.

oh yeah, READ THE BOOK and DO as many hw problems as sample tests are u can. I learned that its almost a guaranteed B if you do all that.

FORGOT TO ADD: I got to UC Davis and they offer workshops for science and math courses. basically extra classes! ;) If your school offers those, take them. It's an extra 2 hrs a week of "studying". basically reiterates lectures and gives us tips. can be boring but in o-chem, theres so much info that any extra help is worth the time.

Hi guys,
I'm in a very bad predicament. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for 2 years. I will graduate with a biology degree this summer. However my college years have not been so great. I had many obstacles my way being the eldest child I had to work full time as well as be a full time student. I came from a family where domestic violence was an everyday thing and my dad was an alcoholic. He passed away last year and things got worse. But through all these hardships and financial problems I decided to still pursue a degree despite the many times I wanted to give up. But I always wanted to be a pharmacist and it has been a dream of mine ever since I was young. I didn't want the troubles at home to be a reason as to why I didn't achieve my goals. However even though I'm graduating with a biology degree my transcript is not so great. I'm graduating with a 2.1 cumulative gpa. I know for a fact no pharmacy school will take me. Please someone tell me if I can get a second chance at my dreams to be a pharmacist. What should be my next step after graduating with a biology degree? Should I take over all those classes I did poorly in over at a community college and aim for nothing let's than A? But I hear no matter what PharmCAS averages every grade. So if I had an F, then a C and I take the class over at a community college and get an A, how significantly will that change my grade on PharmCAS? People deserve second chances at life and I really wish I can fix my situation. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!