Pre-Pharmacy Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NauticaLife

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My name is Mark and I am a pre-pharmacy student. I'm taking the prerequisite courses in my local community college system and then transferring to Western New England. I'm currently a technician at CVS. I was hoping for some advice. First, my store manager says that it's company policy to not give letters of reference, which I need for the PharmCAS application. Is this true? Also, can anyone recommend anything I should do to prepare for the PCAT other than studying the Kaplan book? And also after which classes should I take the PCAT? I know I'm new here and any help is appreciated. Thank you kindly.
 
Hey Mark. To address your first question about CVS, I am not sure. I work at CVS as a pharm. tech. and I was not aware of the policy (and I suppose my pharmacist wasn't either). I got my letter of recommendation from my pharmacist. I would be surprised if there was a policy because I wouldn't know where some people (like me) would get a pharmacist LOR (which is required by some schools). As for the PCAT I used Kaplans, Dr. Collins (packet of tests), and Pearson official tests. I used Dr. Collins tests to gauge how well I am doing on each section and areas where I need to improve in. Kaplan was very detailed in biology which was great for me when I needed to review specific topics. Chad's videos was EXCELLENT in covering gen chem and organic chem. I took the pearson tests at the end to see how well my studies went and to prepare myself days before the actual exam.