Pre-Pharmacy Bachelor's Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsadulski

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am Bradley. I am currently enrolled full-time at a state college, almost to the point of completing my Associate's. Upon completion, I plan on enrolling into a pre-clinical health sciences degree, online. I chose the online path in order to travel with my fiance, who is in the Army. As of right now, I am considering two different schools, Nova Southeastern University of Ft. Lauderdale Florida and South Dakota University. I chose NOVA due to its name recognition. As a full-time Pharmacy Technician, I have had plenty of opportunities to ask Pharmacists whether I should attend a school solely based on name recognition and pass rate, as opposed to tuition awareness. While I don't want to spend an atrocious amount on my undergrad by going to NOVA, I do want to ensure that I am a competitive candidate on paper to a Pharmacy School.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should choose my undergraduate school? Is name recognition that important to strike a positive interview with a Pharmacy school? Do you think getting my undergrad from NOVA would allow me to get into their Pharmacy school easier? All of the questions my fellow Pharmacists couldn't answer, I hope to get answered on here.

Any and all support would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Bradley

Members don't see this ad.

Good gpa and pcat will get you there to pharmacy. Being there undergraduate doesn't guarantee

Reactions: 1 user
Some courses will not fulfill requirements if taken online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @bsadulski, I am a 2nd year student at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. In my opinion, school reputation does not matter much. As long as you perform well in your undergraduate studies, receive a solid PCAT score, and have good letters of recommendation, you should be a competitive applicant. During my interview at UMD, my interviewers did not ask me anything regarding my undergrad institution. I have classmates that even went to community colleges but did well in their courses. Hope this helps!

Hi @bsadulski, I am a 2nd year student at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. In my opinion, school reputation does not matter much. As long as you perform well in your undergraduate studies, receive a solid PCAT score, and have good letters of recommendation, you should be a competitive applicant. During my interview at UMD, my interviewers did not ask me anything regarding my undergrad institution. I have classmates that even went to community colleges but did well in their courses. Hope this helps!
Hey there. Thanks so much for your response! I appreciate the information and will definitely take your information into account. Do you personally believe the online classes will put me at a competitive disadvantage even with a high GPA and great PCAT score?