Pre-Pharmacy Clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you are involved in or would like to set up a pre-pharmacy club at your school?

If there is interest, we can set up an area here for clubs to share what kinds of activities they are doing and to provide startup resources for people who want to bring a pre-pharmacy club to their school. Would this be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to set up a club at my school. I have already talked to some professors about it. Now I just got to go ahead and do it.... That sounds like a good idea for sharing activities on this forum.

bananaface said:
How many of you are involved in or would like to set up a pre-pharmacy club at your school?

If there is interest, we can set up an area here for clubs to share what kinds of activities they are doing and to provide startup resources for people who want to bring a pre-pharmacy club to their school. Would this be helpful?

that does sound like a great idea.

clubs can share how their club is run, what kind of meetings and activities they have for their members, and who to contact in order to arrange speakers and representatives from pharmacy schools to come to their meetings.

i'm an officer in the ucla pre-pharmacy society and we're always looking for new ideas for our club.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested in seeing what clubs do. I've got a meeting with some professors and a conselor during spring break to see about setting up a 'Medical Professional' or Pharmacy club to match the RN/PRN club the school has. Although it's tough to determine interest, I go to a community college.

Yeah I think it would be really helpful. Actually, me and 3 other students at my school are in the process of getting a pre-pharmacy club going. So any help or advice from others who have gone through this type of thing would be really helpful.

I would be interested. I've been batting around the idea of starting a club at my school, but I've been afraid that I'll set up a meeting and it will just be me and an empty room. Maybe some advise, stories from others would give me the confidence to go for it.

UIC has a great one. Unfortunately this year we had a lot of deadbeats join :(

Wow.... lol my school has the PHPC, basically if you dont get into the club your chances of getting into pharmacy school are not very good, I think about 85% of Pre-pharmacy majors at my school are active members in the club and they do lots of different projects and stuff, not too much info, but its a good way to get your name out there.

Hi. We have a great pre-pharmacy club at West Virginia University. It is actually a part of the school's APhA-ASP chapter. The president-elect heads up the pre-pharmacy club and we have meetings about once a month. We have gotten to be involved in some community service activites like poison-prevention puppet shows for children. We also got trained to give heart-burn screenings at health fairs and were invited to take part in our state's legislative day. However, the thing that was of tremedous help to me was we got to sign up for mock interviews conducted by PY1 students. :)

I present today's drawn out, pointless rant with humourous Annotated Anecdotes® 1

I was thinking of starting up a pre-pharmacy club and charging $50 to join. Being as though there are about 100,000 people that are prepharmacy at WVU2, I'd probably get a good 200 kids to join because they think it "looks good on the application."3 In the end, I'd have $10000 and all I'd have to do is torture a bunch of people for 10 minutes in a mock interview, which, in and of itself, would be fun because I'm a huge sadist that likes tortuting people.

I was also thinking of starting a club called the Apathetic Society of Student Pharmacists Avoiding Rigorous Tasks.4 that celebrated people like me that hate school but suffer through it because it will eventually make me moderately wealthy. The club's motto was proposed to be "We can't wait until we can compare paychecks with people in Rho Chi.™"5 I'm writing the charter right now. Who wants a chapter at their school?6

1Not really a registered trademark. Not trying to be funny, I just don't want the patent office to hunt me down. They've got guns, man. Lots and lots of guns. And tigers. That know how to use guns. Up until a few years ago, I actually thought annotate and anecdote meant the same thing. Eh, I'm born n' raised in West Virginia. Always a good excuse.

2I'm not kidding. There are 10 in my martial arts class alone. "I'm going to go to pharmacy school." Mmmhmm, sure ya are. The admin people love seeing ya take 6 hours a semester, BIO 101 and three gym classes. That'll wow-em.

3The admissions people don't care.

4ASSPhART for short. I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself "I can read, dummy!" Well, too bad. I'm one of those nerds that explains a joke after he tells it. I'm known to mutter something like "It's funny because I'm a racist and I think Pollacks are dumb. That's why it took five of them to change a light bulb." Now that I think about it, I think I actually am part Polish. Or was that Italian? I don't know, same difference.

5It takes a damn idiot to get straight As. Think about it. On the other hand, I would consider hiring them because I think they would be easy to control. Anyone who spends the time to get an "A" in Public Health class is way too easy to make jump through hoops. Hell, if I ever own a pharmacy, I'll just hire gullible people and give them report card with a 4.0 GPA instead of giving them raises. I love it when they brag about getting a $2000 scholorship for having good grades. Well, in that 40 hours a week you spent memorizing worthless crap, I worked at Krogers for $13 an hour at 25 hours a week and made $17,000 last year. And I still do better on case studies. Viva practical expirience.

6Don't you love the irony manifested by the idea of an apathetics' club?

Ha Ha Ha, thanks for the rant!!

So there isn't a national pre-pharmacy society, is there? My pre-pharmacy society has been looking for any kind graduation cord for pre-pharmacy... some type of pharmacy related medallion included or whatnot. It's kinda hard to find such merchandise when there's no national leadership. :(

The population of pre-pharmacy students is very low at my school from what I can tell. We have things like the all-popular SGA and such but I am scraping the bottom for activities that I am interested in. I am still interested in this topic and I will think about the subject of starting something once I spend more time in the regular honor society itself.

I'm a Pre-Pharm Major at Western KY University. We just recently acquired a charter for a pre-pharm club. So far this semester we have had various guest speakers, pharmCas information sessions, mock interviews (given by the various students that recently have been accepted into pharmacy school for fall 06), and have been working on service projects. I would truly reccomend having mock interviews. If you have any suggestions on service projects please let me know so I can pass it on to the 06-07 officers. I will be leaving after this spring semester and going to UK pharmacy school! Yeah! Class of 2010.