Pre Pharmacy GPA

Started by DerekYoho
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DerekYoho

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first post on this website so first I would like to say hello to everyone! My question is this. If I have a 3.2 in this pre pharmacy curriculum. Do you think I have a chance to get in or am I wasting my time? I currently attend Marshall University. Marshall's pharmacy school opens this fall (2012). I wouldn't be applying until 2013 though due to me finishing up my pre reqs. Here is a link for the pre reqs. http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/513 I noticed the minimum gpa is 2.5, but do they really look into people with a 2.5 gpa? also how much of a difference do you think it would make if I volunteered at a pharmacy and shadowed a pharmacist over the summer. Thanks!
 
This is my first post on this website so first I would like to say hello to everyone! My question is this. If I have a 3.2 in this pre pharmacy curriculum. Do you think I have a chance to get in or am I wasting my time? I currently attend Marshall University. Marshall's pharmacy school opens this fall (2012). I wouldn't be applying until 2013 though due to me finishing up my pre reqs. Here is a link for the pre reqs. http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/513 I noticed the minimum gpa is 2.5, but do they really look into people with a 2.5 gpa? also how much of a difference do you think it would make if I volunteered at a pharmacy and shadowed a pharmacist over the summer. Thanks!

Yes you have a chance of getting in, yes shadowing and volunteering help out your chances, I don't know what a school that hasn't started yet looks at, but my school accepted me with a 2.7.

Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just remember that not all 2.7's are created equally.

An upward trend and a strong PCAT with a 2.7 cumulative GPA & a Bachelor's Degree is much different than a B-/C+ student who scored in the 60th percentile on the PCAT and has taken the bare minimum pre-requisites.

Good for thought ...
 
You probably have a good chance with a 3.2 GPA as long as your PCAT is at least average. Make sure to get solid LOR's and have a good personal statement.