Pre-Pharmacy grade problem (UH vs SHSU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gocoogs1241

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Here is the deal..
Went to SHSU for a year. Made the dean's list my second semester. So good grades with a GPA of 3.62
I have been at University of Houston for not even a semester yet, and they are TEARING me apart.
Here's the thing... I don't know what looks better... should I transfer back to SHSU for A's and B's?
Or get some A's some B's and a couple C's at UH... I am having an awful time figuring out what will look best.

Ideas?
Right now I am looking at an A,B,C,B this semester at UH.(I also had to drop Microbiology the prof was so difficult, couldn't pass a single test)
At Sam last semester I got an A,A,A,B,B

:cool: Thanks ya'll.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the deal..
Went to SHSU for a year. Made the dean's list my second semester. So good grades with a GPA of 3.62
I have been at University of Houston for not even a semester yet, and they are TEARING me apart.

What is SHSU ?
Can you elaborate why U of H is tearing you apart? Is the prepharm program difficult? I am thinking about U of H prepharm program and would like to get some info

Members don't see this ad :)
I take issue with several things here, and please do not take my words personally. But I'll start with an anecdotal story about a friend of mine who is quite candid with his experiences. He went to a very, very reputable university for undergrad and was in engineering. After 4 years of destroying his GPA (it sank to below 2.0), and being just a semester or two away from graduation, he changed majors to biology (at the same school) and proceeded to graduate in 1 year. I was shocked that someone who did so poorly in engineering could accomplish the task of completing an entire major in one year (summer + fall + spring). His answer? He may have been a bad engineer, but he wasn't a bad student and its not that he didn't learn anything. He said he grew from the experience and after really sitting down and thinking things over, he realized he learned how to work efficiently and that everything was easier after that. He said with the wisdom he gained from the experience, he probably could have started engineering over and gotten an easy 3.5. He was just making one mistake after another in his decisions and they led him down a vicious cycle. Moral of the story: you can accomplish anything if you approach it from the right angle and with the right attitude.

1) If you find undergraduate courses difficult at UH, and graduate school is far more challenging, how do you think you will perform then? I know the saying goes Cs are for PharmDs... but do you honestly believe that you'll be getting Cs? You went from As and Bs to Bs and Cs. Its fairly reasonable to say you'll go to Cs and Ds (aka not passing) in grad school, is it not?

2) You withdrew from a class because a professor was "difficult" and you couldn't pass a single test. Is your plan to withdraw from classes when you get to pharmacy school and find that passing them is difficult? Because, to my knowledge, you really can't do that. You'd fall behind a year.

3) Not passing because a professor was difficult is an excuse. You're just a kid, but the reality of the situation is that you need to accept responsibility for your actions. Whether it was due to the fact that you overloaded your schedule with too much work, didn't seek tutoring assistance or professor's help during office hours until it was too late, or because you were too concerned with "college life" to study the right amount, or even if there were personal issues at hand, it doesn't matter because all of them are a measure of your errors in decision making. You could have registered for fewer classes, sought help early, partied less, and withdrawn for the semester. You make (literally) hundreds of decisions a day... and there are always better decisions you could have made.

Being a mature adult, one who a pharmacy school seeks to admit, means you can handle the rigors and challenges of graduate school AND can accept responsibility for your own actions because down the road, your decision making could quite literally be life or death for patients. Every admissions committee realizes that when you're 18 or 20, you make loads of poor decisions. Its a perfectly normal aspect of youthful exuberance. Depending on the degree of error, many admissions committees are quite willing to forgive these little transgressions as a normal part of becoming an adult.... But the question they will ask themselves is how do you rise to the challenge from here? Option 1: Do you run back to the school where you can get better grades in the hopes that no one notices? Option 2: Or do you step up to the plate and do a better job in your second semester at UH? Both decisions carry risk - with option 1 its that admissions committees don't think you can make it and don't accept you or that once you get there, you cant handle it and flunk out... and with option 2 its that you continue to perform poorly and won't be accepted into pharmacy school.

Let me be clear - neither decision is a "bad decision" but both carry a big risk. Its not the decision which sets apart the good candidates from the bad - its the process by which you make it, and the actions you take once you make it that does.

Life is full of character revealing moments - this is simply one of yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

Here is the deal..
Here's the thing... I don't know what looks better... should I transfer back to SHSU for A's and B's?
Or get some A's some B's and a couple C's at UH... I am having an awful time figuring out what will look best.

Ideas?
Right now I am looking at an A,B,C,B this semester at UH.(I also had to drop Microbiology the prof was so difficult, couldn't pass a single test)
At Sam last semester I got an A,A,A,B,B

:cool: Thanks ya'll.

I think you should figure out why you arent doing as well as before. Why others have higher grades than you? What are you doing wrong? Fix it, then think about if you should transfer back to SHSU or not.

I take issue with several things here, and please do not take my words personally. But I'll start with an anecdotal story about a friend of mine who is quite candid with his experiences. He went to a very, very reputable university for undergrad and was in engineering. After 4 years of destroying his GPA (it sank to below 2.0), and being just a semester or two away from graduation, he changed majors to biology (at the same school) and proceeded to graduate in 1 year. I was shocked that someone who did so poorly in engineering could accomplish the task of completing an entire major in one year (summer + fall + spring). His answer? He may have been a bad engineer, but he wasn't a bad student and its not that he didn't learn anything. He said he grew from the experience and after really sitting down and thinking things over, he realized he learned how to work efficiently and that everything was easier after that. He said with the wisdom he gained from the experience, he probably could have started engineering over and gotten an easy 3.5. He was just making one mistake after another in his decisions and they led him down a vicious cycle. Moral of the story: you can accomplish anything if you approach it from the right angle and with the right attitude.

1) If you find undergraduate courses difficult at UH, and graduate school is far more challenging, how do you think you will perform then? I know the saying goes Cs are for PharmDs... but do you honestly believe that you'll be getting Cs? You went from As and Bs to Bs and Cs. Its fairly reasonable to say you'll go to Cs and Ds (aka not passing) in grad school, is it not?

2) You withdrew from a class because a professor was "difficult" and you couldn't pass a single test. Is your plan to withdraw from classes when you get to pharmacy school and find that passing them is difficult? Because, to my knowledge, you really can't do that. You'd fall behind a year.

3) Not passing because a professor was difficult is an excuse. You're just a kid, but the reality of the situation is that you need to accept responsibility for your actions. Whether it was due to the fact that you overloaded your schedule with too much work, didn't seek tutoring assistance or professor's help during office hours until it was too late, or because you were too concerned with "college life" to study the right amount, or even if there were personal issues at hand, it doesn't matter because all of them are a measure of your errors in decision making. You could have registered for fewer classes, sought help early, partied less, and withdrawn for the semester. You make (literally) hundreds of decisions a day... and there are always better decisions you could have made.

Being a mature adult, one who a pharmacy school seeks to admit, means you can handle the rigors and challenges of graduate school AND can accept responsibility for your own actions because down the road, your decision making could quite literally be life or death for patients. Every admissions committee realizes that when you're 18 or 20, you make loads of poor decisions. Its a perfectly normal aspect of youthful exuberance. Depending on the degree of error, many admissions committees are quite willing to forgive these little transgressions as a normal part of becoming an adult.... But the question they will ask themselves is how do you rise to the challenge from here? Option 1: Do you run back to the school where you can get better grades in the hopes that no one notices? Option 2: Or do you step up to the plate and do a better job in your second semester at UH? Both decisions carry risk - with option 1 its that admissions committees don't think you can make it and don't accept you or that once you get there, you cant handle it and flunk out... and with option 2 its that you continue to perform poorly and won't be accepted into pharmacy school.

Let me be clear - neither decision is a "bad decision" but both carry a big risk. Its not the decision which sets apart the good candidates from the bad - its the process by which you make it, and the actions you take once you make it that does.

Life is full of character revealing moments - this is simply one of yours.

Thank you for the advice, I took most of it to heart. And when I say I'm doing poorly... its because EVERYONE'S average in chemistry is in the 40's (so I am actually above the average); he will probably curve big time.
It seems that I am in the top 15% grade wise in all my classes, but like I said, that is a B or high C. Very few are making an A and it is definitely do to the teaching style of the professors I ended up with this semester. I don't blow anything off I put probably 60-70 hrs in a week plus class time in these classes and still struggling... :(

You gotta realize... I know I can't withdraw from Pharmacy classes...but given the opportunity during undergraduate, It would be ignorant to stay in a class that would kill my GPA.

I really appreciate everything you said. Thank you very much.

Here is the deal..

What is SHSU ?
Can you elaborate why U of H is tearing you apart? Is the prepharm program difficult? I am thinking about U of H prepharm program and would like to get some info

SHSU-Sam Houston State University
The program is not all that bad if you have good study habits. I just got a big handful of uninspired professors this semester. Everything seemed 10x harder than it should have been literally. They are also putting a lot of weight on outside quizzes/homework online, which to me is a drag because the computer system doesn't want to cooperate often enough. Also, by doing this... they quiz you outside of class.. and then you return and learn more info. (that way they don't take class time away from quizzing, etc.) I think that made the pace move A LOT quicker.

Do whatever gives you the best chance of getting into pharmacy school. If you feel that transferring will give you the GPA boost you need - then do it!

Pretty simple really. Don't split hairs with everyone about whether or not you are worthy, no one here knows you anyway...

I would suggest that you use www.ratemyprofessor.com from now on.

The problem with ratemyprofessor and all sorts of similar voluntary surveys is that it suffers from horrible bias - the only people with incentive to report are those who are inherently dissatisfied. The number of professors who receive positive reviews are few and far between. And its amusing because I know for a fact that some of the professors who are rated poorly on those lists are the same professors who win "professor of the year" as voted on by students.

Hence, the bias.

I would put as much faith in those surveys as I would in UFOs and Big Foot.

The problem with ratemyprofessor and all sorts of similar voluntary surveys is that it suffers from horrible bias - the only people with incentive to report are those who are inherently dissatisfied. The number of professors who receive positive reviews are few and far between. And its amusing because I know for a fact that some of the professors who are rated poorly on those lists are the same professors who win "professor of the year" as voted on by students.

Hence, the bias.

I would put as much faith in those surveys as I would in UFOs and Big Foot.

Well - so far I give it a 10/10. I also believe in UFOs, and Big Foot... I guess we all find our own way.

I agree with DrDrugs for the most part, with a couple of mitigating factors.

1) I disagree with the undergrad "lecture hall" format. If larger class size is the difference between the two schools, I would completely understand why the grade differences exist. Very few people learn well in this format. Additionally, some professors are not interested in teaching the obligatory introductory classes, but they teach fantastic upper level classes & do great research. This simply means they're human - humans don't often do well when bored - and possibly that the department has a dumb policy. Neither of these reasons reflect at all on the OP's ability to learn & perform.

2) Microbiology professors vary widely in their presentation of material. If the OP had said something like general biology, I would also have considered a poor professor a bad reason for poor performance. However, I am inclined to believe that in microbiology, statistics, and a few other classes, "poor professor" is an accurate assessment.

I used ratemyprofessor and found it to be helpful. You have to take it with a grain of salt, but I always found it a great place to get an idea of what to expect. Though of course the professors with the hardest classes always have the lowest grades, regardless of teaching ability. I still liked it.

I agree with DrDrugs for the most part, with a couple of mitigating factors.

1) I disagree with the undergrad "lecture hall" format. If larger class size is the difference between the two schools, I would completely understand why the grade differences exist. Very few people learn well in this format. Additionally, some professors are not interested in teaching the obligatory introductory classes, but they teach fantastic upper level classes & do great research. This simply means they're human - humans don't often do well when bored - and possibly that the department has a dumb policy. Neither of these reasons reflect at all on the OP's ability to learn & perform.

2) Microbiology professors vary widely in their presentation of material. If the OP had said something like general biology, I would also have considered a poor professor a bad reason for poor performance. However, I am inclined to believe that in microbiology, statistics, and a few other classes, "poor professor" is an accurate assessment.

Well considering you are not in the class.. it would be hard for you to judge that wouldn't it? All I can tell you is 3/4 dropped the class.
My question was not whether or not you thought my reasoning was applicable... I asked what you all thought looked better in terms of university vs grades and that was it. (obviously UH has is more accredited than SHSU but in terms of my grades I was asking for a comparison) Thanks for you input though.

Do whatever gives you the best chance of getting into pharmacy school. If you feel that transferring will give you the GPA boost you need - then do it!

Pretty simple really. Don't split hairs with everyone about whether or not you are worthy, no one here knows you anyway...

lol, I wasn't asking whether I was "worthy." I asked what you all thought was more important... taking harder classes at UH and getting slightly lower GPA (but much more accredited university) or staying at SHSU for a higher GPA. It's like Harvard vs. Community college if you catch my drift. Simple question that got way drawn out, and focused on the wrong things. Thank you for you response.