Pre-pharmacy (so much self doubt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm in my second semester of pre-requisites and can't tell you the number of times I've felt like giving up because I'm worried I won't get into pharmacy school. I finished the 1st semester with a 2.9 and got a C in chem I. Today I took my second exam in chem II (which I thought I was prepared for) and as I'm remembering questions I've realized at least 4/21 that I have missed (at least). No, that doesn't sound like the end of the world but I got a 24 on the first exam, mind you, my prof does drop the lowest exam grade at the end. Aside from school, I do have life experience, I was active duty air force for 8 years with multiple deployments and supervisory roles and am now in the reserves as an E-6. I go to a private school that has a reputation for sending students to Med school and I've heard it's harder than local state universities but I don't have any prior experience to base those claims off of. I want to go to a top 30 school but I'm afraid I won't meet the standards.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of pharmacy schools that do accept students with a 2.9 but like I've seen on other threads, if you're unable to succeed in undergraduate coursework, pharmacy coursework will be incredibly difficult. I remember Gen. Chem being harder for me than my upper level classes like Biochem so it may be the same case for you. But just keep working harder, bring those grades up, and prove to yourself that even if you get into pharmacy school (which you most likely will) that you can tackle the coursework.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to go to a top 30 school but I'm afraid I won't meet the standards.

At the end if the day, CVS /Walgreens, won’t care if you graduated from a top 10 school..

If you’re worried about residency choices then you need to focus more on your grades.. I haven’t heard of a residency program that wasn’t highly competitive.. I’ve heard some won’t even look at you without a 3.5 gpa.

What helped get me through organic chemistry was relaxing the night before (ie: I had A beer) and I wouldn’t try to cram before the exam.. I made flow sheets of reactions and glazed over it before each test to refresh myself..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in my second semester of pre-requisites and can't tell you the number of times I've felt like giving up because I'm worried I won't get into pharmacy school. I finished the 1st semester with a 2.9 and got a C in chem I. Today I took my second exam in chem II (which I thought I was prepared for) and as I'm remembering questions I've realized at least 4/21 that I have missed (at least). No, that doesn't sound like the end of the world but I got a 24 on the first exam, mind you, my prof does drop the lowest exam grade at the end. Aside from school, I do have life experience, I was active duty air force for 8 years with multiple deployments and supervisory roles and am now in the reserves as an E-6. I go to a private school that has a reputation for sending students to Med school and I've heard it's harder than local state universities but I don't have any prior experience to base those claims off of. I want to go to a top 30 school but I'm afraid I won't meet the standards.
If general chemistry is difficult for you then I would reconsider a different major altogether. But if science and healthcare is your passion then I would seriously reconsider a different career route. Look into each healthcare field’s prerequisites and see if the majority of those classes appeal to you. Then look into getting some shadowing done.