Pre-pharmacy talk vs reality, translated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOOM N GLOOM

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
“I want to become a pharmacist so I can help people”

Translation: I don’t know what I want to do with my life, couldn’t get into med/dent/opto/nursing/PA school but I can still become a “doctor” by being a pharmacist so why not. Nevermind that I can “help people” in ANY job.

“Pharmacy isn’t saturated, I will work hard and become the “clinical pharmacist” that’s all the rave these days”

Translation: These posters on SDN are idiots that don’t know what they’re talking about. Just go to the Pharmacy For Me website or read any article with “top 25 best professions in the U.S.” in the headline and tell me that pharmacy is not a blooming career path.

“As a backup plan, I can always go into the pharmaceutical industry or go into drug development”

Translation: I’m not sure what this means nor entails, but someone once said that pharmacy is a super flexible degree so as long as I study hard in school and do a good job on rotations I will get lots of job offers from these companies. But again, this is just a backup plan because I will at minimum get 5+ retail offers and 3+ hospital offers before graduating.

“Can I get into school X? Are my grades /PCAT scores/extracurriculars good enough?”

Translation: I know I can get in because I am eligible to take out $300k in loans, but still want validation from people I don’t even know. Virtual high-fives, anyone?

What else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Translation: I don’t know what I want to do with my life, couldn’t get into med/dent/opto/nursing/PA school but I can still become a “doctor” by being a pharmacist so why not. Nevermind that I can “help people” in ANY job.

“Pharmacy isn’t saturated, I will work hard and become the “clinical pharmacist” that’s all the rave these days”

Translation: These posters on SDN are idiots that don’t know what they’re talking about. Just go to the Pharmacy For Me website or read any article with “top 25 best professions in the U.S.” in the headline and tell me that pharmacy is not a blooming career path.

“As a backup plan, I can always go into the pharmaceutical industry or go into drug development”

Translation: I’m not sure what this means nor entails, but someone once said that pharmacy is a super flexible degree so as long as I study hard in school and do a good job on rotations I will get lots of job offers from these companies. But again, this is just a backup plan because I will at minimum get 5+ retail offers and 3+ hospital offers before graduating.

“Can I get into school X? Are my grades /PCAT scores/extracurriculars good enough?”

Translation: I know I can get in because I am eligible to take out $300k in loans, but still want validation from people I don’t even know. Virtual high-fives, anyone?

What else?
This is the harsh reality nobody wants to hear.
All these pre Pharmers think it won’t happen to them, until it does.

Reactions: 1 user

What else?
Yikes, is this what you did?

Yikes, is this what you did?
I started pharmacy school unaware of the saturation like your typical naive pre-pharm, but had the acumen to pick up on the rat race and saturation in this profession when I was first introduced to hospital pharmacy politics in P1 year. Quickly made it a goal to go nontraditional and it worked out for me great. But I would never, ever do it again...