Pre-pharmacy Vs 0-6 programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AzN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

What do you prefer? Going to your own college for prerequisites or attending a 0-6. What the pros and cons.

Thanks,
All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know that pharmacy is right for you coming out of high school, then a 0+6 program allows you to get that PharmD as quick as possible without having to worry more about the competitive pharmacy school admissions for 2+4 applicants. You could always drop out during a 0+6 program if you find that you don't like the school or the pharmacy profession.

I suppose the main cons with 0+6 schools are that the flexibility of choosing your own courses isn't there as much making changing your direction tougher in such a program. Personally, I liked getting a degree in that I took a wider range of courses that benefited me.

I had a cousin, who got into a 0-6 program at UOP. In high school, he AP-ed every class and left absolutely no time for fun. I guess the school pretty much suited him, being located in Stockton...:sleep:He is one othe squarest people I know. Last time I saw him, he was at a nickel arcade and was having the time of his life. I wish I was in an 0-6 program to save time, then again I wouldn't have fun with my undergrad:hardy:...

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the program. Pros of a 0-6 program is that you usually know your classmates (you will be stuck with them for 6 years!!!), everyone is working with the same experience (someone isnt going to be more advance than you), you are not required to take certain courses or pcat, and you are more focused. Cons are, you will be with the same classmates for 6 years (can be a bad thing), same experience (not as diversified), etc.

In terms of pre requisite, i rather do 0-6. If you were to take biology in college, it might not pertain to pharmacy. If you were to take statistics, it wont go into a little bit of biopharm and kinetics like a 0-6 program would. Furthermore, usually a 0-6 program will have some early pharmacy experience unique classes where you can shadow a pharmacist in different fields or do SOAP on early cases.

What do you prefer? Going to your own college for prerequisites or attending a 0-6. What the pros and cons.

Thanks,
All the best.

Be sure that you get plenty of experience (shadowing, volunteering) before signing up for a 0-6 program.

To be honest, I'd recommend doing 2+4 just to be sure pharmacy is what you want. It would look better having never signed up for 0+6 than it would for you to drop out of the program.

Im currently a senior in high school and I was wondering the same thing whether i should go 0-6 yr program or 2+4 yrs. If I go through a 0-6, i wont have to worry about the PCAT and the admissions process. However, on 2+4 year program I would have more time to explore. What do you guys recommend

While the security is nice, I do know some folks that look down on it because it isn't competitive during the first two years, thus theoretically producing folks that couldn't have made it into a X+4 program.

Personally, I say who gives a damn. A PharmD is a PharmD. It should take 6 years either way.

If you're 100% sure you want to major in pharmacy, 0-6 is ABSOLUTLEY an ideal way to go_Once you're in, you're in...No PCAT's...No clawing your way in the door and no trying to round up enough ca$h to go out for interviews (typically smack in the middle of mid-terms and finals). -Just my opinion. Regarding the argument about "enjoying the 1st few years" of college life, you'll STILL need to take the same classes (chem, bio, calc,etc) AND keep up a very high GPA if you plan on applying to traditional schools, so either way the classes will have to be taken (but if you're in 0-6 you can "settle" for 3.0's without thinking you annhilated your prospects of getting in to a PharmD program later. Just my opinion