Pre physical therapy science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bio1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After some medical issues earlier this year, which caused me to take a break from both spring and fall semesters, I will be returning to school to finish up my degree.

I have read over the typical pre-phys therapy courses and I am confused about physics and chemistry.

Physics- Am I expected to take a year of calculus based physics or will algebra based physics be all that is needed.

Chemistry- At my university there are two different types of chemistry (Survey of Chemistry and Principles of Chemistry). B.S science majors are required to take the principles but Survey of Chemistry, which is a one year sequence, is taken by B.A science majors and non science majors. The only reason I ask this is because I have met pre physical therapy students who enrolled in the survey of Chemistry but I don't want to take a course to find out it does not fulfill the requirements.

As of now I need to complete; Physics, Chemistry, A+P and statistics...I am also planning on taking abnormal psychology and exercise physiology due to the schools I am interested in applying to.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to the advisors at your school as well as prospective PT school advisors? I would trust their answer over anyone's over the internet..no offense to anyone on this board of course.

As far as the physics course goes the one without calculus should suffice...I took general physics 1 & 2 and those met the requirements

No I have not bothered asking my advisor or the prospective PT school as I am about 2 years away before I graduate. As I mentioned in my original post, I met an individual who was going into physical therapy and was in a non science major chemistry course....strange.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're already interested in some schools, you can contact them to see which course meets their requirements. Your advisor might have you do that, anyways.

When in doubt, you can ask schools you'd be interested in attending. FWIW, this was my experience- I was able to take algebra based physics (which was a 111-112 sequence, did not have to take the calc based/science/physics majors 113-114 sequence) but, I did have to take the science major chemistry (again a 111-112 sequence, as the non-science major 101-102 did not satisfy requirements of any of the schools I was interested in. That being said, I also did not need to take the chemistry that is required of chemistry majors 113-114.)

My school allows algebra-based physics, and I think that most will accept this rather than requiring calculus based physics. As many people have stated above, the best idea is to contact the individual schools that you are looking at. Or this information may be on the PTCAS website.

For the science courses, we require courses that are designed for science majors. Generally, Survey courses are non-science major courses. If I see a 'Survey' class when I am reviewing applications I will usually use other science courses, I may check on the website of the school or call to verify that it is a non-science majors class, or may not accept it as meeting our requirements.

Some schools may require that Anatomy and Physiology courses be from a biology department, and may not accept these courses from a Kinesiology, Athletic Training or Exercise Science department.

The physics course, algebra based one year sequence, is meant for Biology and Geology majors so I didn't think there would be an issue but you never know. I was not expecting the survey courses to fulfill the chemistry prerequisites but I asked because of the individual I met who was going into physical therapy.....but as I am writing this I just remembered that he had taken a year of Chemistry but did not do so well, C+?, and was taking that to get his science GPA up.

I actually have taken General Chemistry but it was not the science major course...so in essence a survey course. I learned a lot of the basics, got an A, and I think the course will most likely prove to be an excellent prep for the "real" chemistry class.

The course I took had a lab component as well.

DEFINITELY check with the school(s) you're interested in. I went the route you did originally and thought "Oh, I'll just take general courses that satisfy the general requirements of the average PT school", but this isn't realistic. Now that I've really narrowed down my choices, there are some schools that will take the A&P I/A&P II sequence I took, some that want separate A&P courses, and others that want separate, upper-division courses. Most schools are particular about what they're looking for in regards to each prerequisite, even if their website/CAPTE/PTCAS doesn't give that impression. If I were you, I'd find a contact at each school you're considering and get someone to approve every course you're considering taking as a prerequisite. It's worth your time now if you can avoid retaking courses later ;)

P.S. Two years away from graduating is not too early to get in touch with PT programs - go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
I am interested in several different schools, some in my home state of MA and some out west....Some schools require just the above science classes and stats, while others require abnormal psychology or exercise physiology. Would be nice if there was a standard list of prerequisites but I will have to make a list of the ones I really want to go to and work with those classes.

Is physical therapy extremely selective or if I put in the work and get the good marks am I pretty much all set? I am around a 3.4 GPA, first year at community college didn't put 100% into my studies, but I have been pulling all As and Bs since.

Another question...do they accept community college coursework?

I am interested in several different schools, some in my home state of MA and some out west....Some schools require just the above science classes and stats, while others require abnormal psychology or exercise physiology. Would be nice if there was a standard list of prerequisites but I will have to make a list of the ones I really want to go to and work with those classes.

Is physical therapy extremely selective or if I put in the work and get the good marks am I pretty much all set? I am around a 3.4 GPA, first year at community college didn't put 100% into my studies, but I have been pulling all As and Bs since.

Another question...do they accept community college coursework?

PT is pretty darn selective - around a 3.7 I would say would make you "pretty darn set", but 3.4 is still quite good and you still have a good shot. It would be fantastic if the prereqs were the same across the board, but alas, they're not. I'm not going to answer the community college question because honestly, it depends on the school. Take the time to contact every school you're interested in and have them tell you whether the classes you're considering would be acceptable to them. Make a spreadsheet. Get organized, and research the schools - don't waste their time by asking questions that you could have answered on your own ;)