Pre-Physical Therapy Student in Distress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brachialis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a 22 year old male currently in sophomore/junior year of undergrad. I have been taking all my pre-reqs for Physical therapy and have a combined GPA of a 3.1. I still have a lot more pre-reqs to take, but I am concerned about applying to grad school. I transferred from another school with 3 W's and one of them was in Chem 1. I am not taking gross anatomy and Chem2 and I am not doing so well in Chem 2. I am thinking about dropping it because if I do not do well it will affect my GPA dramatically because it is a five credit course. Is it worth trying to get the "C", withdraw from it, or fail it and get an 'F' replacement later on. I spoke to an advisor and she said that 3 or 4 W's there isn't a difference between them. I figured when I get an interview with those grad schools I can tell them (I KNOW THIS IS HORRIBLE) that a friend of mine past away and I wasn't doing well in school because of that. But that is if I even get the interview. can someone seriously help me?

Members don't see this ad.

What's done is done. Forget the bad grades and the Ws and do your best, starting today. Ask why you're not performing as well as you would like. Perhaps your study skills need improvement (clearly they do). Consult tutors, buy Cliff's AP, buy DVDs, whatever you need to do to improve those grades.

You might have to re-take those classes at a community college after you gradute. There's no shame in doing that. That's what I did and I got plenty of interviews (one acceptance, however). If you re-took several of those classes, got B+s and As, and then did well on the GRE, you would have a real chance.

Also, do as many extra-curricular activities as you can. Volunteer as if it's a full-time job. The more experience you have, the better. This is true in any vocation, not just physical therapy.

Do not lie about why you did poorly in a class or why you withdrew. Don't make up a silly, asinine fable. It's wrong and they will probably detect it. Be honest and tell them you screwed up and weren't studying effectively or enough. I think they will appreciate your integrity and humility.

Kevin

Last edited:
I would not say that about your friend passing. They probably hear the same thing from half the students . Don't worry about the w's just finish strong. Lots of people get accepted with your gpa. In fact, props to you for even having started preparing for pt school application

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is your junior year, you really shouldn't be withdrawing from any courses. Take the C.

Furthermore, I really don't think you should bring up a friend's death. If anything, just leave it at "I was having a hard time dealing with personal issues at the time."
If you're lying about any of that even happening, well you're taking things way too far. Be honest.

First of all, great screen name. That being said, it's not very likely that the result of 1 prerequisite course will make or break you. Being a sophomore/junior means you have a solid 4 semesters worth of courses to take (which includes important pre-reqs) to up your gpa. A lot of schools look very closely at pre-req gpa and/or last 45-60 credit gpa. Also, as previously mentioned, there is a lot more than grades that schools look at. GRE, extracurricular, observation experience, and interviews all carry weight as well.

If you think you can do a lot better the 2nd go-around, then withdraw and come back to it guns firing. If you think you still might struggle a lot, then instead of going through it twice, just fight for that C this semester, be done with it, and move on.

I would take the C. You still have enough time to make up for it with other classes. I got a C in chem 2 and have the same GPA as you and I was just fine. Just work hard in your remaining pre-reqs.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I agree with your advisor, you already have three what is going to be the difference with adding a fourth. You already have three, but there may be a bit of concern since you are a junior.

I guess it depends on the schools that you apply to and how they view a W in comparison to a C. It is a five credit course and that C will hurt you badly!!!!

Also, maybe you should consider taking Chem 2 again with no major science courses so you can focus on getting an A. That is what you will need after getting a C or a W.

Good luck with whatever you decide and sorry about your friend.

Echoing everyone else- Take the C this time, and maybe try to improve it later on at a community college while also gaining observation hours and experience. Study hard for your GRE (youre gonna need to) b/c your not going to be able to make up a lie if you dont do well on the GRE, proof is in the pudding. But especially don't lie about anything having an affect your grades. PT programs are looking for well rounded people with integrity, and as soon as someone finds out your lying- they will undoubtedly start to question whether you lied about other things (or will lie about things in the future). You are an adult now and with that comes responsibility, so just take the grade as is, you can also make another attempt at a better grade in the near future.

The reason why pt schools do not like accepting students with a W during their junior and higher years is because it shows you are a quitter. Just think about it, if you are on the admissions committee why would you accept someone to your program when they are a high risk of quitting and not finishing the program. That being said, take the C for now. Start fresh, work hard, if it's not enough, work a little harder. I think you can do it.
NO "W"!!!

Research schools that focus on your last 60 hr GPA. Repeat preRequisite courses that you performed poorly on.this will show that you are dedicated and commuted to the field. Try to get research experience, volunteer hours, working in adaptive sports and recreation.... Aldo, establish rapport with a professor o you can have a good LOR! Good luck to you my friend,