Pre-Physical Therapy with 2.56 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nana6787

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
have a 2.56 GPA with a BA in Psychology & Pre-Track in PT.. currently working in a out patient sports & geriatric rehabilitation physical therapy facility.. Have 120 hours in acute settings,letters of recommendation.. have some schools in mind.. St. Agustine,U Masuchusetts Lowell, Daeman College, D'Youville College,Marquette University & possbly Sacramento State.... im also currently studying for my GRE to be taken this upcoming month & retake 2 post bach classes to replace 2 C's for As.... any more suggestions on what schools I could apply to?? very determined..

wheres there is a will there is a way.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't waste your time applying unless you have a cGPA and pGPA of 3.0, and you better have a KILLER GRE score with that if you have any chance of getting in. Diversify your hours also.

I do know that St. Augustine doesn't look at cGPA. They only calculate pGPA and your last 45 credits, but to be competitive you would still want to be around a 3.5. So my advice would be to retake all your pre reqs, get A's, and both of your GPA's will be competitive for that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aiya... I honestly don't know unless there were extenuating circumstances which contributed to that GPA. One of the reasons for looking at GPA is to see if you can handle the graduate coursework. I'd do what the other posters have recommended.

Good luck. It's getting so competitive that I don't think your gpa will give you a chance. Pretty soon 3.5's will be the norm if it isn't already.

- be strategical in where you apply.
- apply to schools that only looks at last 45 to 60 units
- kill the GRE
- diversify your observation

The lowest overall GPA i saw was a 2.75. You will def not be considered to if you come in with a 2.56 (assuming you apply to schools minim 3.0).

Even if your last 45/60 hours are good, if your overall GPA is 2.56, your chances are poor. Call schools to ask if they would consider you even if your pre-req GPA were >3.5. I haven't seen anyone get accepted with less than a 2.8 overall GPA. And like Nicole said, it's getting more and more competitive, and schools are raising the standards.

I would try to apply once. Do well in all your pre-requisites, do well on your GRE, and diversify your hours, and see what happens.

Kevin

Last edited:
if you are really dedicated, get a masters to make up for your subpar bachelor degree.

You have absolutely no chance whatsoever. A couple of years ago you probably could have gotten away with this, but the health care field in general is just getting blood thirty in how competitive it is.

Even schools that only look at the last 60 hours will not even bother with your application.

I can only think of two things that would give you a chance. The first being that you retake all of your prereqs and get a 4.0 prereq gpa. That still won't bring your cgpa over 3.0, but it will at least let you apply to schools that do consider less than 3.0.

Your second choice is to just get another bachelors degree and get a 4.0 with that one. The two will balance out enough to give you a better gpa. This is the stupid option btw because it requires 4 more years and lots more money

Look into PTA before you start putting hundreds/thousands into the application process for DPT.

How many times are you planning to post this question? As you can see, the direction of the answers have not changed.

How many times are you planning to post this question? As you can see, the direction of the answers have not changed.

I didn't even realize that OP had already made a thread with the same exact question about two months ago. I knew it sounded familiar lol. Some people just don't get it. Here's my sympathy nana: +pity+ aaaaand it's gone.

I didn't even realize that OP had already made a thread with the same exact question about two months ago. I knew it sounded familiar lol. Some people just don't get it. Here's my sympathy nana: +pity+ aaaaand it's gone.

iono what you are searching for OP but posting it twice only shows me that youre not taking initiative to do what is necessary to be a PT. Posting something like this again only shows that you want a different answers. But here is the truth.. You wont find it.

You are not imagining how competitive it is out there...I am having a lot of trouble with cGPA pGPA 3.3, with some classes with honors, including 300 hours of volunteer, work as an Aide, Research in Core Training....in my opinion, you will have to work your butt off for at least two years to complete your pre-req with A's and GRE score...Good Luck!!!

I tried to be a PT two years ago. I had a low sGPA of 2.85, due to the fact that I messed around early in college and got a lot of C's in Bio/Chem/Physics. Later i went on to take A&P I & II (got A and B+) and a Microbiology class (got an A) and did good in a year of OChem and did above average on the GRE....and didnt get in to any schools (A&P grades helped to get my sGPA up, but micro and ochem grades didn't count to move my GPA up).
This is because most schools didnt even get a chance to look at my better grades or really good GRE-because they had a cutoff at 3.0 where they wouldn't even look at you-it was an automatic rejection. So it didn't matter that I excelled at higher level bio or chem classes, because my pre req classes GPA was bad. I would have had to retake more of those classes to get my GPA higher...but most schools would average the two grades, making my final grade (if I got an A the 2nd time around) a B. This didnt make a huge boost to my sGPA though like an A would.
So I chose not to retake those 3 or 4 classes i would need to retake to get my gpa up, and switched to podiatry. I took biochem and did good, got a decent score on the MCAT and I start pod school in August.
If its your dream to become a PT then press on and retake a lot of your science pre reqs. Or change like I did and go somewhere where you can get in. Pod school is no slouch, it is 4 years with a 3 year residency, not for everyone, but I think with PT school and how competitive it is, u might wanna change your path because of that GPA hole your in.

Btw that 2.85 GPA was after my A&P classes.

Btw that 2.85 GPA was after my A&P classes.

hey bill, Nice picture sennnnd it :D

OP, yea your in a bit of trouble with your GPA there.... :eek:

(Just so you know) Umass Lowell is cheap and has a very high preference for their undergrad students... cheap in the PT field=SUPER SUPER competitive

My advice is either be a PTA or Get a Masters of Athletic Training(ACE IT) then apply to DPT or be an athletic coach

Here in Michigan at any rate, we have one school that has a minimum requirement of a 2.75 for science courses and 3.0 otherwise. Four schools require a 3.0 for sciences with a 3.0 overall. The final school requires a 3.2 in sciences with (I believe) a 3.0 overall...

My advice is this:

Make sure you meet even the minimum requirements before you apply to save yourself a half of a grand. It costed me ~$150+ just to send my GRE scores + ~$300 for application. You would be throwing your money away...If you really are committed to this, (and yes this would actually cost money in the long run), take a semester or two...Take only the classes that are bringing you down the most (any 2.0s). Take them at a community college if you have to... If you do this, you HAVE to score 4.0s in every one...so make sure you get a goood professor. You will get a ding for retaking a bunch of classes, you might get a ding for taking them at a community college but your GPA will skyrocket and make you competitive at least. There is a lot of risk with this...like I said you NEED 4.0s...even a 3.5 would make it look bad. You would need to check each and every school you want to get into and ask these questions: Do they take your old grades into account or do they simply just look at your new GPA with retakes? Do any of these schools have anything against a community college/online courses? Do these schools even accept retakes?

I am only saying this stuff because I had to go through it. I wanted to apply in the previous year's cycle in 2011-2012. I graduated in Dec 2011.. However, my pre-requisites were too low..(looking at you Chemistry...you know...that class that PTs won't be using often if at all...) So I had to take a semester's worth of retakes that Spring which caused me to have to wait a year due to deadlines and whatnot. I retook 3 classes at a community college...(two classes were 2.5 and one was a 2.0) I got a 4.0 in all three classes thankfully.. The summer after my retakes I applied and I got accepted to Andrews University and UM Flint here in Michigan. So it was worth it for me.. But it is just a suggestion and what you could do... I know its not what you might want to hear because of time and money but if you really want this bad enough, you might just have to try it... :-(