PRE-pre-pharmacy questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainmelody

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I will be enrolling as a freshman this fall at a junior college. My current plan is to do my pre-pharmacy work at this junior college. However, the more I search through each Pharm-D program's pre-reqs, the more I see they are vastly different. What is the best course to take when beginning your pre-pharmacy work? How do you meet all of the school's pre-reqs? How can you be sure courses taken at a junior college or other university will be acceptable when applying to pharmacy school? I'm sorry to burden the forum with all of these questions. I have searched online for hours, and I can't seem to find this information. I would be grateful for anyone's help.

dRew

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take a look at the FAQ link in this forum. You should also check out assist.org, where they tell you the pre-reqs you are required to take for each school you are planning to complete them in.

First of all, if you have any idea which schools or cities you are interested in - contact them (the schools not the cities) and see if they would accept coursework completed at a junior college. Then, if some of them say yes I would start taking the classes that will prepare you for the PCAT such as Biology, Chemistry, English, and Calculus. Anatomy is also very helpful and some schools require it instead of or in addition to Biology, so I would definitely start with one of those. Good luck and you are not a burden at all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
first semester of college:
english
biology
chemistry
calculus
speech

2nd semester
english
biology
chemistry
foreign language
western civ

3rd semester
organic
physics
anatomy
etc

4th semester
organic
physics
anatomy
etc

captainmelody said:
Hello. I will be enrolling as a freshman this fall at a junior college. My current plan is to do my pre-pharmacy work at this junior college. However, the more I search through each Pharm-D program's pre-reqs, the more I see they are vastly different. What is the best course to take when beginning your pre-pharmacy work? How do you meet all of the school's pre-reqs? How can you be sure courses taken at a junior college or other university will be acceptable when applying to pharmacy school? I'm sorry to burden the forum with all of these questions. I have searched online for hours, and I can't seem to find this information. I would be grateful for anyone's help.

dRew

Get a catalogue for the junior college you plan to attend. They most likely will have the pre-pharmacy courses listed there. To make sure these are accurate, visit the website of the college of pharmacy and see their pre pharmacy requirments. If all else fails and you just dont know, call the pharmacy school. After all, they are the people that will be able to tell you if what your doing is right or wrong.

Brock1385 said:
Get a catalogue for the junior college you plan to attend. They most likely will have the pre-pharmacy courses listed there. To make sure these are accurate, visit the website of the college of pharmacy and see their pre pharmacy requirments. If all else fails and you just dont know, call the pharmacy school. After all, they are the people that will be able to tell you if what your doing is right or wrong.

Has anyone had trouble finding a school that offers Anatomy? Also, why do most schools want you to take Organic Chemistry? I see one shcool that has it and offered when I work and therefore I cant take it and it's offered once a year. Do schools let you take a 'substitute' Chem class?
I do know why Organic is wanted and not Inorganic Chemistry

wannabeapharm said:
Has anyone had trouble finding a school that offers Anatomy? Also, why do most schools want you to take Organic Chemistry? I see one shcool that has it and offered when I work and therefore I cant take it and it's offered once a year. Do schools let you take a 'substitute' Chem class?
I do know why Organic is wanted and not Inorganic Chemistry

I took A&P at a community college. Every CC in the state of Florida offers it. Where exactly are you located?

Both chemistry sequences are needed. You must complete a year of general chem before taking organic.

You will need organic chemistry to understand the medicinal chemistry courses in pharmacy school.

organic is essential if someone lets you sub i will be absolutely shocked

you will have 2 more chem classes in pharm school that build on organic.

If your having trouble finding Anatomy or Physiology (which I personally think is the wiser choice between the two, if one needs to be made) find a CC that has a lot of 2-year nursing students. Some colleges also dont offer the classes seperately, but rather as Anatomy&Physiology together, but for two semesters.