Pre-Rec Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share you stories....

I am have a hard time managing 2 classes f/t work and 2 kids as a single mom.

Please share your stories - I need inspriation to keep going.....:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

so nobody had a hard time..... wow great

I think we all have had our own individual challenges along the way...

but kudos to you for raising two kids, working and trying to take two science classes on top! I think a lot of us have had our "hard" stories put to shame by yours.

Best of luck to you, keep up the hard work. It will all work out in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
mcshow2 said:
I think we all have had our own individual challenges along the way...

but kudos to you for raising two kids, working and trying to take two science classes on top! I think a lot of us have had our "hard" stories put to shame by yours.

Best of luck to you, keep up the hard work. It will all work out in the end.
thnx -- do u have any stories to share?

sumozmom said:
thnx -- do u have any stories to share?

Ok- Here's some advice, Sumozmom. As adictive as SDN can be, you NEED to get off SDN and start studying. Let your kids be your motivation and think about what a better life you will give them when you are done with this great journey. You can do it- I know you can! Good luck! :luck:

bicuspidguy said:
Ok- Here's some advice, Sumozmom. As adictive as SDN can be, you NEED to get off SDN and start studying. Let your kids be your motivation and think about what a better life you will give them when you are done with this great journey. You can do it- I know you can! Good luck! :luck:
okokokokok...SDN is during down time ---otherwise i'll go crazy.

i'm shooting for a 4.0 - to bring up my horrible gpa ---that's why i'm soooo stressed

sumozmom said:

wow..i think you are the inspiration to people around here. you should write a book later in life. keep your head up :)

polarnut said:
wow..i think you are the inspiration to people around here. you should write a book later in life. keep your head up :)
thnx...i appreciat that ...if i could spell i wood

More kudos to you and those in similar situation to yours.

An inspiration story for you:

My sister is in a somewhat similar situation as you are. She is taking 2 science pre-reqs for DH, works pt, has 2 very hyper active boys, a very demanding husband, AND to top it all off, her mother-in-law just came from Iran... she is staying with them for the next 3 months!!

sumozmom said:

Just take it one day at a time. If you look too far ahead, it's easy to get discouraged. I am taking my first pre-req (we spoke about it) and just this morning, I'm asking myself, "is it worth it?" But think about the end result and try to enjoy yourself during the process , which is very important, I think.

I am coming down to the end of taking the core-prereqs and I am just barely gonna make it motivationally. I have this term where I am taking physics 2 and ochem two and next term where I am taking physics 2 and ochem three all with labs.

I have a wife and kid and work 20 hours overnight at a medical laboratory on the weekend.

Anyway, I am really concered that I am only going to have taken the corereqs and no upper level science courses. I should finish up with a min 3.5 max 3.9 science gpa depending on my remaining course's results. Just having the core-reqs limits the schools that I can apply to (later UoP, UNLV and TUFTS and state school OHSU) but I just can't take anymore undergrad. I am a postbac and so it has been a very long road.

And then the fuel pump went out on the van last weekend so I had to drop the fuel tank....

--tired and hoping it will all be worth it.

Just keep on keepin on. I know how everyone is feeling. I just started my prereqs and just got a call for an interview for a job that has the possibility of being huge for me and my family. While I am sitting in my botany class listening to the teacher I am wondering what the hell I am doing. I'm 32, wife, 2 year old boy and 1 mo old girl. I payed about 900$ for this class too. I haven't said anything to my friends or family yet about this journey I am starting towards a DDS. They will think I am crazy. And of course the possibility of not getting accepted. Fun to think about too.

One day at a time. My first test is coming next week. I'll know more then... :eek:

titan305 said:
Just keep on keepin on. I know how everyone is feeling. I just started my prereqs and just got a call for an interview for a job that has the possibility of being huge for me and my family. While I am sitting in my botany class listening to the teacher I am wondering what the hell I am doing. I'm 32, wife, 2 year old boy and 1 mo old girl. I payed about 900$ for this class too. I haven't said anything to my friends or family yet about this journey I am starting towards a DDS. They will think I am crazy. And of course the possibility of not getting accepted. Fun to think about too.

One day at a time. My first test is coming next week. I'll know more then... :eek:
wow great story---the kicker is the not getting in part...it could happen....it kills me to think that but it's possible ...i just started too ...my life is upsidedown - do u not work f/t?
how do u manage?

Yellow Snow said:
I am coming down to the end of taking the core-prereqs and I am just barely gonna make it motivationally. I have this term where I am taking physics 2 and ochem two and next term where I am taking physics 2 and ochem three all with labs.

I have a wife and kid and work 20 hours overnight at a medical laboratory on the weekend.

Anyway, I am really concered that I am only going to have taken the corereqs and no upper level science courses. I should finish up with a min 3.5 max 3.9 science gpa depending on my remaining course's results. Just having the core-reqs limits the schools that I can apply to (later UoP, UNLV and TUFTS and state school OHSU) but I just can't take anymore undergrad. I am a postbac and so it has been a very long road.

And then the fuel pump went out on the van last weekend so I had to drop the fuel tank....

--tired and hoping it will all be worth it.
how old r u?
does ur wife work to pickup the diff?

whats ur degree in?

I work full time fri,sat,sun,mon. Class on tue and thurs. I started with only one prereq to see how things will go. My college has two summer sessions so I will use my vacation and personal days to take one class in each session this summer.

On a side note, I see you are from vegas. I used to work in boulder city for a short time. I wish I would have bought a house there (NV) in 1998. I lived in henderson too. I did the grand canyon tours and hoover dam tours. I hope I never see the grand canyon again :) I use too cash my checks and spend all my money at the railroad pass. ;)

titan305 said:
I work full time fri,sat,sun,mon. Class on tue and thurs. I started with only one prereq to see how things will go. My college has two summer sessions so I will use my vacation and personal days to take one class in each session this summer.

On a side note, I see you are from vegas. I used to work in boulder city for a short time. I wish I would have bought a house there (NV) in 1998. I lived in henderson too. I did the grand canyon tours and hoover dam tours. I hope I never see the grand canyon again :) I use too cash my checks and spend all my money at the railroad pass. ;)
will u apply to unlv?

I'll probably apply there. Maybe apply in 2007 or 2008. I dont know yet.

titan305 said:
I'll probably apply there. Maybe apply in 2007 or 2008. I dont know yet.
so whats the path forward as far as ur classes....what will you take / what semester....when will u take ur DAT?

I plan on applying to UNLV for the 2008 too!

well the nightmeares r really settling in!

I had 2 tests Mon - calc and chem...but the chem was a quiz....so i busted my a-- studying for math....i think i did ok....but chem ugh .....i think i got 1 out of 15.....so upset
i need to get a 4.0 avg out of my pre-recs or the whole effort is a big fat waste of time!

advice...?

sumozmom said:
well the nightmeares r really settling in!

I had 2 tests Mon - calc and chem...but the chem was a quiz....so i busted my a-- studying for math....i think i did ok....but chem ugh .....i think i got 1 out of 15.....so upset
i need to get a 4.0 avg out of my pre-recs or the whole effort is a big fat waste of time!

advice...?

First Relax. It's a long road to a 4.0 so slow down and take it easy. If you put all this pressure on every quiz, test, and assignment, you'll never make it because of your self imposed stress. Just remember to try your best and good things will come. There's plenty of time to erase one quiz. I imagine there are three or four exams plus a final that have much more weight than one quiz. Also if you're having trouble with chemistry you need to do more problems. From Gen Chem 1 to Organic 2, if you do the majority of the problems at the end of each chapter, you will get an A. Also the easiest way to lessen the stress is to study a little every day. I know that's easier said than done, but if you cram you won't make it. And if you're still having trouble, meet with your professor and get his advice on how to get a good grade. You'll need to get to know a few professors anyway for you LOR, so why not start now. Good Luck :luck: and remember...you've only failed if you didn't give it your best. If your best doesn't get you into dental school than you still have alot to be proud of. Now get off SDN and get back to studying. :D

jmac44 said:
First Relax. It's a long road to a 4.0 so slow down and take it easy. If you put all this pressure on every quiz, test, and assignment, you'll never make it because of your self imposed stress. Just remember to try your best and good things will come. There's plenty of time to erase one quiz. I imagine there are three or four exams plus a final that have much more weight than one quiz. Also if you're having trouble with chemistry you need to do more problems. From Gen Chem 1 to Organic 2, if you do the majority of the problems at the end of each chapter, you will get an A. Also the easiest way to lessen the stress is to study a little every day. I know that's easier said than done, but if you cram you won't make it. And if you're still having trouble, meet with your professor and get his advice on how to get a good grade. You'll need to get to know a few professors anyway for you LOR, so why not start now. Good Luck :luck: and remember...you've only failed if you didn't give it your best. If your best doesn't get you into dental school than you still have alot to be proud of. Now get off SDN and get back to studying. :D
that's awsom advice...I HAVE been cramming cause i work f/t etc....

anyway i have also been in touch w/ the teach for LOR!

It's been along time since i've studied for test so i;m refining my balance to studie a little per/day!

thnx ssooooo muchoooo