pre-req. before OAT?

alleigh79

not so confused anymore!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What pre-req. should you absolutely have before taking the OAT? Is is necessary to have them all when you take it?

Members don't see this ad.

What pre-req. should you absolutely have before taking the OAT? Is is necessary to have them all when you take it?

I'd take both semesters of general biology, physics, organic chemistry, and a class of general chemistry before the OAT. You could hold off on other pre-requisites like biochemistry, microbiology, etc for later since those aren't specifically on the test.

You might want to look into taking a math class, or learn how to work math problems very quickly also.

Alot of schools don't require a second semester of ochem. Check the schools you're interested in to make sure. If they don't require it don't even worry about taking it. You can get by with only one semester before taking the test.

Do you think upper level biology classes will "weigh" more than the general courses - as far as admissions goes?

Say in Biology 2 you got a C but then in Genetics or another upper level course that's not a pre-req. you got an A? Or are they just concerned with total GPA?

I'm not sure if this makes much sense... if it doesn't - I'll try again:D.

Members don't see this ad :)

The test is about demonstrating what you know, which would be applicable to your admission into optometry school.

That said, your questions are about your pre-reqs for the OAT.

Personally, I would say PHYSICS is really important to have before you take the OAT. REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!

Quantitative Reasoning, you could maybe slide by, as well as Reading Comprehension.

Physics, Biological Sciences, whatever the other one is called (the one with general chem): these are really important, and prereqs are almost a must before you take the OAT. Especially physics. You'll be lost (no pun intended for you current and former optometry students who remember Optics class) without it.

I think upper division classes will hold their weight in an application. But, I do think they like to see "well-roundedness" in an application. So good grades all around of course are better. You should be ok with a C or two, but keep your GPA up.

Alleigh,

I had a "phone appointment" with an adivisor at berkeley and she specifically told me that the pre-req GPA is more important than the overall GPA, so with that said I would say the general courses are going to hold more weight than the upper division, unless they give you the benefit of the doubt and like for instance will take your best 2 biology grades to be calculated in your pre-req as opposed to your general biology courses-I'm not sure what exactly they use for your pre-req GPA.

Also, an ICO admissions advisor told me to them that it's not just about your overall GPA, they look at trends and consistency. So if your grades were generally better in your later years than your earlier years, as you're saying, that's a plus!

Thanks! That's good info to know!

Alleigh,

I had a "phone appointment" with an adivisor at berkeley and she specifically told me that the pre-req GPA is more important than the overall GPA, so with that said I would say the general courses are going to hold more weight than the upper division, unless they give you the benefit of the doubt and like for instance will take your best 2 biology grades to be calculated in your pre-req as opposed to your general biology courses-I'm not sure what exactly they use for your pre-req GPA.

Also, an ICO admissions advisor told me to them that it's not just about your overall GPA, they look at trends and consistency. So if your grades were generally better in your later years than your earlier years, as you're saying, that's a plus!