Pre-req BIO course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yxlian1979

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about pre-req BIO course. Most schools need a year long Gen Bio. As a non traditional pre-dent, I never took bio before. Now, the only course provided in my university during this summer is Intro College BIO with lab, 4 cr. Can I use this and then select another course during fall semester? Or, I should spend the next full academic year taking BIO I and II? I want to apply for the coming cycle.

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're going to have to wait to take Bio I and II since the intro to bio class, even with lab, probably won't meet the requirement. However, I suggest you call the schools you are planning on applying to and see what they say.

But if I have to take Bio I and II, I have to wait until end of next Spring to get all these done. Then there will be no time applying during this coming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
But if I have to take Bio I and II, I have to wait until end of next Spring to get all these done. Then there will be no time applying during this coming cycle.

Yeah they want all courses done before you matriculate. Not before you apply.

Still confused. I can send my application even before I have the credits of BIO I and II? And they will still consider my application?

As a current D1, take the full year of bio either way. Knowing the basics well is extremely helpful for your first year of dental school (and probably beyond, but I can't speak for that).

Still confused. I can send my application even before I have the credits of BIO I and II? And they will still consider my application?

From my understanding yes. It asks you on the application if you are planning to take certain courses. At the schools I'm applying to all you need to state is what coursework you will be taking before entering. In your case, list Bio 1 and Bio 2 + whatever else you're taking. Best of luck.

Thanks, I will then forget the summer session and go straight registering BIO I for the fall.