Pre-Req classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapeach427

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi---
I took half of the pre-req's for my Bachelor's degree (nursing); however, in a couple of the classes, I had earned C's. I'm planning to retake those in addition to my remaining prerequisites. In applying to med school, will the new grades replace the C's, or will the C's still be counted in my GPA?

Also, with the GPA, is that overall, or is that of the prerequisites?

Thank you in advance! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

gapeach427 said:
Hi---
I took half of the pre-req's for my Bachelor's degree (nursing); however, in a couple of the classes, I had earned C's. I'm planning to retake those in addition to my remaining prerequisites. In applying to med school, will the new grades replace the C's, or will the C's still be counted in my GPA?

Thank you in advance! ;)

If applying to an MD program, ALL grades are included. Therefore those C's will be counted regardless of doing better, the same, or worse than the first time you took it. MD schools will expect you to get A's the second time you take it since you have the advantage of "doing it over". Therefore the value of retaking a class you got a C in is relatively lower than say if you got a D or F in the course. Essentially, retaking a class would be like taking another class in terms of your GPA. For DO schools, the best grade replaces the crappy one.

On the AMCAS application, your undergrad GPA is classified as overall (everything...including pre-reqs), Bio/Chem/Physics/Math GPA, Non-science GPA.

Of course if you do post-bacc, that can add into your undergrad GPA, but schools will also know that these were taken after undergrad. Grad GPA's are seperate from undergrad/post-bacc.

Ultimately your performance in pre-reqs doesn't mean too much relative to all the other classes you take. Pre-reqs are only what...2 years worth of coursework. Therefore adcoms will also take into account other science classes that you take, as well as non-science classes. Unless you apply with ONLY your pre-reqs (not recommended), your overall GPA will include far more than just your pre-reqs alone. AMCAS never specifically seperates out your pre-req GPA.

gapeach427 said:
Hi---

Thank you in advance! ;)
gapeach....I did the same thing, I didn't have chem/organic/physics with my BSN so when I went back for pre med I (tried )concentrated on those classes. the A's from there will cancel out some of your C's. if you have extra time, retake your C's but otherwise, concentrate on your core science classes for pre med.