Pre req courses and application timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkfriend89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start taking pre reqs this spring and have laid out my schedule as follows. Is it possible for me to apply and attend Med school Fall of '19? Or will I have to wait a whole year? :(

Spring '17:
Chem 1
Bio 1
Physics 1

Summer '17:
Chem 2
Bio 2
Physics 2

Fall '17:
Org Chem 1
Anatomy 1
Sociology

Spring '18:
Org Chem 2
Anatomy 2
Psychology

Summer '18:
Biochem

Fall '18:
Study for and take MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry yeah you'll have to wait and apply Fall 2019 ... unless you complete the schedule through Fall 17 and then self-study Biochem for the MCAT. There are threads on here (will post later when I find) that say that if you have Ochem 1 and are VERY knowledgeable on the rest of your sciences that self-studying is okay for Biochem and Ochem 2 is not needed for for the MCAT. Self study starting in January 2018 for biochem and MCAT and take MCAT no later than May 31, 2018 and take the rest of the prerequisites after you apply in June before you matriculate (fingers crossed).

Whatever you do, don't rush the MCAT and don't have an application completed later than September 1.

You are going to have to apply in spring 2018. Don't rush the MCAT (do your very best on your first try).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys!

I will see if it possible for me to take the MCAT spring '18, but If I don't and follow my original schedule. What would be the best way to spend the gap year? Americorp?

I'm on the same plan as you but a year ahead. Seeing as how Anatomy and Psychology courses are not required to take the MCAT, maybe push those to the end of your list and take the MCAT in Spring 2018.

I'll have wrapped up the 8 firm prereqs + biochem by Spring 2017 and take the MCAT at the end of May hopefully :)