Pre-Req cut off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Toothenstein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow predents. I have been in school for awhile (guess im nontraditional lol). Anyways I can only find ATSU that recommends pre-reqs taken within 5 years. I dont see this mentioned on any other website. I just wanted to double check, I know of many other science programs that actually have cutoffs. I think it would be best if they were more recent but I have taken many upper courses and would think having a high DAT should demonstrate that I understand the material.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a guy who got a chemistry degree with average grades... then a dozen years later he applied and got into dental school. In that time, however, he had gotten a PhD in history, and right before applying he did well on the DAT and took a few upper level sciences to show he still had the chops

Talking to schools and asking them will be the only way to get a good answer... if you have a good reason for the pre-reqs being old and show that you can still handle the material, they may give you a pass

Minnesota mentioned this in their site as well. I called and chatted with the admissions office. I had not take biology or gen chem for ~7 yrs.

I did however just get my masters in biology and was teaching biology and working in a university lab. The office said with the masters and teaching I was still involved with the sciences so that 5 yr requirement was more for people who had not been working/thinking about the sciences for a long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State told me that they don't care how long ago you took classes, they look at your GPA and DAT.

How about ASDOH? some of the earlier pre req courses I took almost 7 years ago but I did a post bacc program from 2013-2014 and taking all advanced bio courses.

Ohio State told me that they don't care how long ago you took classes, they look at your GPA and DAT.

I can confirm that Ohio state will not accept prerequisites older than 10 years. Still pretty long, but there is a cutoff.