Pre-req/dental confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wake11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my sophmore year at a community college. I know the prerequisites are 1 year (8 semester credits) each of general physics, general biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry - all with labs, plus 1 year of English (6 semester credits) and 1 semester of biochemistry (3 semester credits).
I know that a majority of four year colleges look down on classes at a community college. I know that you take the DAT in your junior year. I'm lost in the next steps I take....
  • Take Prereq classes (listed above)
  • Intern/shadow
  • Junior year( take dat--> apply to dental schools of my choosing)
  • What next? Assuming I'm accepted into dental school.
Another question is, should I apply for a transfer before my junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

Your senior year you have to finish up your bachelors degree. I would transfer to a University as soon as possible since dental schools prefer that pre-reqs are done at the university level. You can apply to several dental schools with community college courses, but remember you are up against students that attended some of the best universities in the country with the same grades as yourself. To make yourself a more competitive applicant, it's best to take pre-reqs at the university level. But don't worry about it too much. If you have already taken the courses at a community college, just work toward taking a lot of them at the university level.

yes, you need to transfer to 4-year school before your junior year. Just take gen chem, bio, physics I,II at your CC and the rest is gen. ed. classes and then transfer. I would not recommend taking Biochem, Anatomy/Physiology, even Orgo at CC.
Good luck.
P.S. And get A's in upper-level science classes to show that you are consistent (provided you got As in yuor CC) and competent enough to study at` 4-year school.
Just demonstarate consistency.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is my major when I transfer? Currently I'm in a pre-med transfer program.(same classes apply for dental pre-req) I do not understand which department to transfer too.

School of information sciences?
School of Arts and Sciences?

doesn't matter what dept. you transfer to as long as all your pre-reqs are taken. a major within the biosci or phys sci dept goes along with the reqs however

Thanks you for all of your answers!
Giuseppe-

Thanks you for all of your answers!
Giuseppe-

Some schools, for example, Tufts, doesn't accept CC courses. Just to save you a few application bucks later on!