Pre-req question for a non-trad applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleyKat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brand new on this forum and was hoping to get some advice about the prereqs I'll have to take. I will be a non-traditional applicant when the time comes, as i just finished a B.A in psychology. Would I be better off pursuing a bachelor's degree in a science-related major as opposed to taking just the miminum requirements for vet school? I've heard that schools like to see that you've succeeded in upper level science classes, which I will have none of if I stick to the pre reqs only.

Also, how many classes at a time would you recommend taking in order to make your application competitive? I believe I read in a past post that vet schools like to see a full load of classes as well as some work/volunteering, (as opposed to spacing your classes out one at a time). I'll have to be working enough to pay rent, etc so that is part of my concern.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that it's necessary to seek a second degree, as long as you're taking some outside electives if possible (or not - it's not set in stone that you have to take more classes than the minimum, although you're right, it does help).

I have a degree in Linguistics, and when I started school again I returned as a 2nd degree student, for biology. My reasoning was that this way, I'd be working towards something if I didn't get in on try one (or two, or however long it takes) and it would set me up nicely to go on to grad school if I needed to keep applying past the first couple of cycles.

Edit to add: I also take a full-time course load while working (and volunteering) and it's stressful, but doable. We sound pretty similar, actually. PM me if you have more specific questions about returning from an unrelated field to go for vet school - right now I really need to get back to studying for my o-chem final...

Being a second bachelors student will also benefit you by giving you better options for registering for classes. Most non-degree students are only allowed to register for classes after the entire matriculated student body has registered which can leave you out in the cold on smaller classes that tend to fill up.