Pre-req. Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apilot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m interested in Podiatry but I have not taken o-chem yet, my question is can I take o-chem at a community college, or should I go to q 4-year school. I have a 3.5 overall GPA (B.S. Geology), and a 3.2 science GPA, I have not taken the MCAT/DAT yet.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the 4 year school has a very strong science department, a community college ochem course would not be that much easier than the 4 year. Some schools factor in which undergraduate you went to but if you're only taking one core science course outside of the 4 year university, I don't think it would be a problem. It might come up in the interview if they really look at your application. On the AACPM application, you have to list where you took ochem.

However, I don't know what others are going to say but if you only want to take ochem at a community college because it's easier, I won't recommend that because Podiatry Medical School is very tough! There is no easy way out of that and it's probably best to practice gutting it out earlier, though it would be a lot more stressful in graduate school. As long as you get a B, you'll be fine. There are some community colleges that are very tough especially in the introduction/general biology, and chemistry since they are the similar to what the 1st and 2nd year students take at the university. Most people take ochem in the 3rd year and by this time, many of them already transfered out of the community college to a university so it makes me question about the strengths of the ochem course at the community college since most of the high caliber students already transfered out. Nonetheless, there are some strong ochem courses at community colleges though.

As for the MCAT, it's 33% ochem on the bio section. The stronger background you have in ochem the better but it's even better if you know your biology.

Thanks for the input, I was not looking for an easy out at a C.C. Its just simple economics; California C.C.'s are very cheap. :)

Education prices for the california public school system is outrageous. If ochem is the only pre-req you need to take, I believe you can still apply for the class of 2010 (this application cycle). You just need to finish up the course before matriculating. I didn't realize that you graduated already, my apologies. It's probably more convient and more economical for you to do the course at a community college rather than pay extra fees to apply for a post-bac and take ochem. You'll do fine, your GPA is pretty competitive. Good luck!