pre-req question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canis13

Tufts V'15
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it's more impressive to have o-chem done and be in the middle of biochem and physics while applying to vet school (so biochem during the fall, physics during fall and spring), or have physics done and be in the middle of o-chem (and I guess have to take biochem in the summer before vet school? or concurrently with o-chem?)?

My thought is the first option might seem more impressive, but if it doesn't matter, then it would be easier for me to do the 2nd option.

I'm most interested in Penn (in-state) and Tufts, but am also planning to apply to CSU and Cornell. From what I've gathered, Penn only requires 1 semester of o-chem, but strongly encourages biochem; Tufts requires biochem, but not necessarily a biochem class that has o-chem as a pre-req; and both Cornell and CSU require biochem that has o-chem as a pre-req.

Members don't see this ad.

You also need to look at each schools requirements.

Some schools require that all requirements be done by the end of spring semester. Other schools will only allow a limited number of pre-reqs to be in progress during the spring semester.

I'm in about the same position as you. Penn is my IS. I have organic II, Physics I & II and Biochemistry to finish up this year. This is what I'm doing, maybe it'll help. I should mention that I'm a non-trad and work FT.

Summer 2009:
Organic II

Fall 2009:
Physic I + lab
Biochemistry

Spring 2010:
Physic II + lab
Microbiology

I'll be able to apply to a few schools this way and others I'll have to wait until the next cycle because they only allow 1 class to be "in progress."

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to take Orgo and Biochem as well. I talked to the adcom at Tufts about this (I am applying only there and Penn). She said it would be no problem for me to take them both next year (both in fall, just orgo II in spring) because the rest of my academics are very solid. If there is any question in the adcoms mind about your academic ability/preparation, they are going to be more wary of accepting you pending grades in those tough classes, and may need you to wait until the next cycle so they can see everything. At Tufts (and Penn I believe) classes don't have to be finished until you matriculate, so you can even take them that summer if you are accepted and need to finish up some stuff.

So, my advice would be - if your academics are very strong, do whichever is easiest. If you are a little more worried about it, take Ochem first, get a great grade you can show off, then take physics and biochem while you apply.

thanks for the input all. i've decided to do gen chem this summer, o-chem next year (during my senior year while writing a thesis...yikes this is gonna be crazy!), and then physics and biochem after i graduate, so this way i'll be on track to apply for class of 2015.
absvet, good advice about doing well in o-chem first...i'm not a hard science major, so i think it'll be better not to try to do o-chem at the same time as biochem. i don't think i'll have a shot getting into cornell or CSU, but i'd still like to apply, so this will allow me to do that. and this way i'll be past the bare minimum requirements for Penn.