pre-req studying vs mcat studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavric1298

Long live snugseal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So non-trad here, and had a workload questions. So I'm coming from a 2 year degree, to a molecular/cell/development bio bachelors, so most of my classes I'm currently taking are prereqs. We are on quarters, so its 3 of phys, 2 of calc, 3 of gen chem, 3 of ochem, 3 of bio.

I took my bio 2 years ago now, so thats the oldest material i'll be working with. My schedule is I just finished up gen chem last term, this term I'm doing phys 1, summer will be phys 2, ochem 1, then fall will be phys 3, ochem 2 (which covers everything on the mcat or so I'm told;ochem 3 material isn't really on it). I'm registered for late Jan old MCAT, that way I will have time to retake for 2015 cycle if needed (I've taken pysc and soc and have a tutor to do biochem if I need to retake the new one), and am doing a prep course late sept into beginning jan mostly for some structure. Also to note, I work full time at the hospital, but I have a ton of flexibility and often get the chance to study at work as I'm not an hourly employee, so it's just a matter of day to day workload.

My question is, since I will be doing ochem 2/phys 3, and coming straight from these classes, is it a reasonable assumption to make that most of my MCAT studying will actually just be overlap of class studying/vise versa? I was a bit nervous about full time work, part time school, and MCAT prep, but I don't really have a choice. I can't take a term off and keep my registration status, and being a homeowner can't stop work either. I know most people take a lot of these classes earlier in their studies, so often there is a gap between MCAT prep and when you took the classes. Should I expect this to be a doable 4+ month stretched prep, considering most of my content review will be in the form of acing my classes?

Members don't see this ad.

So you're taking an official MCAT prep course in addition to your for-credit courses?

The prep course should run you through all the material you need for the MCAT, so as long as you keep up, do tons of problems and take practice exams throughout the fall I don't see why this couldn't work.

You might end up a little lost at times if the prep course runs quickly through material that you should have had towards the end of physics or ochem but haven't seen yet. But as long as you're okay with devoting the extra time to get those concepts down as you hit them, you should be fine.

In response to your question, most of your MCAT material might be addressed in your classes. Take an AAMC practice test to find out where you lie score-wise. If you don't like it, you can either go through AAMC's list of MCAT topics to discover where you might lack, or buy Examkrackers and take their end of chapter tests to figure out where your weaknesses are, then address them. Once you think you're prepared, try another AAMC practice test. Once AAMC practice tests say you're ready, you probably are!