Pre-Reqs at CC while attending University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just started my first semester at a UC school after having transferred from a CC in my hometown. My major is in Anthropology, and I spoke with my adviser regarding taking the rest of the pre-requisite courses. I was told that since I was a Anthropology major in the Humanities/Social Sciences department, that I had to meet certain requirements in order to take ANY course through the College of Natural Sciences. Well, apparently since I've retaken a General chemistry at my CC, I am disqualified from the agreement (And I've spoken with several advisers on this matter). Here are my options thus far..

A) Take the pre-reqs at a CC nearby concurrently with my Major requirements.

B) Wait until I graduate (2018), and apply for a Post-Bacc or go DIY.

The benefits to doing the pre-reqs at the CC while at my University is that I will still have all the University resources available to me (Pre-Health advising, research, extracurriculars, etc.). But the downside is I'm not exactly sure how this will be looked upon by Medical School Admissions committees? If anyone could give me some insight or thought into the matter, I would greatly appreciate it!

edit: also financially I would be saving myself money doing the CC ( I get the tuition covered ) vs. paying for a post bacc/ extension courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Update: since I can't take the courses at my UC, I did some research and there is a CSU nearby with open university/ cross enrollment (with limit to one course per quarter). Anyone have any suggestions; should I take the classes at the local CC or the Local CSU? The problem with open university at the CSU is that it will be a lot more frustrating (I'm assuming) to get courses as I will have the lowest priority. Open university is also $200 a unit vs. CC which is free (waived). Any insight would be appreciated!

Is there any way to declare a double major or a minor in a science field in order to get around this? Waiting to do a post-bacc seems silly if you already know what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to declare a double major or a minor in a science field in order to get around this? Waiting to do a post-bacc seems silly if you already know what you want to do.
That's what I was thinking, but it seems that since I'm a transfer student they wont allow it. There is a strict requirement for transfer students in order to get us to graduate in 2 years, which it would take me an extra year ( 3 total )

Anyone able to give some feedback/ideas? Thanks in advance!

Community college courses are not damaging in most cases, and UC bureaucracy not permitting you to take them is as good an explanation as there is for taking them at a CC.

Subjectively CSUs are not really any better than CCs.

Invest in an MSAR and look at schools you like and which are accessible given your stats. Unless aiming top 25 CCs are probably fine.

I'm a nontraditional student with a degree from my previous career. I took all of my prerequisite science classes at a California community college and I'm now a student at a midlevel MD school. I got several interviews and as long as you get a good MCAT score no one will question where you took your courses. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey everyone,

I just started my first semester at a UC school after having transferred from a CC in my hometown. My major is in Anthropology, and I spoke with my adviser regarding taking the rest of the pre-requisite courses. I was told that since I was a Anthropology major in the Humanities/Social Sciences department, that I had to meet certain requirements in order to take ANY course through the College of Natural Sciences. Well, apparently since I've retaken a General chemistry at my CC, I am disqualified from the agreement (And I've spoken with several advisers on this matter). Here are my options thus far..

A) Take the pre-reqs at a CC nearby concurrently with my Major requirements.

B) Wait until I graduate (2018), and apply for a Post-Bacc or go DIY.

The benefits to doing the pre-reqs at the CC while at my University is that I will still have all the University resources available to me (Pre-Health advising, research, extracurriculars, etc.). But the downside is I'm not exactly sure how this will be looked upon by Medical School Admissions committees? If anyone could give me some insight or thought into the matter, I would greatly appreciate it!

edit: also financially I would be saving myself money doing the CC ( I get the tuition covered ) vs. paying for a post bacc/ extension courses.

Hello,
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. I'm an RN and working on my BSN at UW in WA state. I was seeking advise as well from others about how to finish my prerequisites concurrently with my BSN degree. Here is what I know:

1. You can choose to do post-bacc, but if your GPA is already high, there is no need. Post-bacc programs are extremely expensive, and at the end of the program you'll only receive a "certificate". So if you didn't get accepted to med schools, you would end up with thousands of dollars in debt and a piece of paper so-called "certificate". I was advised to only choose this route if I had no other choices.

2. I think it is smart to do some prerequisites for science classes at a CC, for example: pre-calc, calculus, and maybe some biology or physics courses. This way is cost-efficient and save you time if you want to take these classes concurrently with your degree.

3. After having the prerequisites, you can take other chemistry and organic chemistry, biochemistry, or genetic courses at a university level (depending on the school, they may have different requirements).

I talked to a pre-med advisor last week and he was not very helpful. He was saying that my plan (pursuing my BSN and premed courses at the same time) is confusing, and my transcripts will appear confusing to the committee. Instead of giving my guidance, I felt like it was more a personal attack on my plan. He ended up telling me I should have pursued NP or PA instead with my nursing degree. Despite this not so pleasant experience, I am confident with my plan. Same for you, many people major in History or Anthropology and decided to pursue medicine instead. If people told you any difference, don't let them put you down. Keep working on your goals towards what you want. Work hard and stay focused, you will get there. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for all the awesome information everyone! I plan on taking the classes at the local CC next semester!

Check on your top choice med school websites. Some are ok with CC and some are not. If they say they prefer not then that means you are at a disadvantage. It's not just highly competitive schools with a CC bias. DO schools are more accepting of CC. If you aim for the middle of the applicant pack then expect to be in the 60% who don't get in. IMO don't add a hurdle in your way if you don't have to. Save the hurdles for times when you have no choice.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk