pre-reqs/ BA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. I need some advice.
First, its hard for me to understand how its even possible to finish all of the pre-reqs in 2 years! thats bio,chem, inorg chem, physics, plus calc, stats, econ, psychology, human anatomy, microbio and a bunch of electives in history and speech? that sounds like way too much! how do people even do this?

My situation is this. I am going into my junior year, and I am really unsure what to major in. I still need organic chem, microbio, human anatomy (2 semesters), psychology, and possibly economics (Im not even sure if I have the required speech/english/history classes), and I want to apply to pharm school for entry in 2008. Technically, I could graduate in 2 years with a BA in either bio or chem, but add bio or chem degree requirements to all of the pharm requirements and my general education requirements that I still have left (like 2 classes), this seems like such a huge amount.

if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

AtomicLuv said:
First, its hard for me to understand how its even possible to finish all of the pre-reqs in 2 years! thats bio,chem, inorg chem, physics, plus calc, stats, econ, psychology, human anatomy, microbio and a bunch of electives in history and speech? that sounds like way too much! how do people even do this?

My situation is this. I am going into my junior year, and I am really unsure what to major in. I still need organic chem, microbio, human anatomy (2 semesters), psychology, and possibly economics (Im not even sure if I have the required speech/english/history classes), and I want to apply to pharm school for entry in 2008. Technically, I could graduate in 2 years with a BA in either bio or chem, but add bio or chem degree requirements to all of the pharm requirements and my general education requirements that I still have left (like 2 classes), this seems like such a huge amount.

if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? :eek:

Yeah, pretty much, it does take you a little over two years to complete the pre-reqs. Maybe try hastening the whole thing by taking 6 credits during summer.
For this spring that just passed, i had to take 20 credit hours and it was big time crazy (Physics I and II and Cal I-imagine!, plus more). i just had to cram it all in if i was to go to pharm school this fall.

AtomicLuv said:

Just to give you an idea, here's what my schedule looked like from May of 2004 to May of 2006:

Summer 04: Orientation, Psychology, Ethics, Inorganic I and Inorganic II taken back-to-back in "mini terms" - total 15 hours

Fall 04-05: Organic I, Physics, Precal, Computer - total 14 hours

Spring 05: Organic II, Speech, Sociology, MacroEconomics - total 13 hours

Summer 05: English I, Biology I, History I, Art - total 13 hours

Fall 05-06: English II, Statistics, MicroEconomics, A&P I - total 13 hours

Spring 06: Literature I, A&P II, Biology II, Calculus I - 15 hours

I met the prereqs for about 6 or 7 school in the southeast (but only applied to 4: Mercer, UofGA, PBA, and Samford). I was in school for two years, so technically it can be done... it wasn't much fun, though :) By the way, I did not get a degree and was accepted to Mercer and PBA (placed on the waiting list at Samford and rejected at UofGA).

Hope that helps.

AtomicLuv said:

yes it can be done, just pace yourself and dont overload because you certainly dont want to take a whole bunch of classes and end up with average or below average grades.........