pre-reqs/ BA question

Started by AtomicLuv
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AtomicLuv

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay. I need some advice.
First, its hard for me to understand how its even possible to finish all of the pre-reqs in 2 years! thats bio,chem, inorg chem, physics, plus calc, stats, econ, psychology, human anatomy, microbio and a bunch of electives in history and speech? that sounds like way too much! how do people even do this?

My situation is this. I am going into my junior year, and I am really unsure what to major in. I still need organic chem, microbio, human anatomy (2 semesters), psychology, and possibly economics (Im not even sure if I have the required speech/english/history classes), and I want to apply to pharm school for entry in 2008. Technically, I could graduate in 2 years with a BA in either bio or chem, but add bio or chem degree requirements to all of the pharm requirements and my general education requirements that I still have left (like 2 classes), this seems like such a huge amount.

if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? 😱
 
AtomicLuv said:
Okay. I need some advice.
First, its hard for me to understand how its even possible to finish all of the pre-reqs in 2 years! thats bio,chem, inorg chem, physics, plus calc, stats, econ, psychology, human anatomy, microbio and a bunch of electives in history and speech? that sounds like way too much! how do people even do this?

My situation is this. I am going into my junior year, and I am really unsure what to major in. I still need organic chem, microbio, human anatomy (2 semesters), psychology, and possibly economics (Im not even sure if I have the required speech/english/history classes), and I want to apply to pharm school for entry in 2008. Technically, I could graduate in 2 years with a BA in either bio or chem, but add bio or chem degree requirements to all of the pharm requirements and my general education requirements that I still have left (like 2 classes), this seems like such a huge amount.

if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? 😱

Yeah, pretty much, it does take you a little over two years to complete the pre-reqs. Maybe try hastening the whole thing by taking 6 credits during summer.
For this spring that just passed, i had to take 20 credit hours and it was big time crazy (Physics I and II and Cal I-imagine!, plus more). i just had to cram it all in if i was to go to pharm school this fall.
 
AtomicLuv said:
if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? 😱

Just to give you an idea, here's what my schedule looked like from May of 2004 to May of 2006:

Summer 04: Orientation, Psychology, Ethics, Inorganic I and Inorganic II taken back-to-back in "mini terms" - total 15 hours

Fall 04-05: Organic I, Physics, Precal, Computer - total 14 hours

Spring 05: Organic II, Speech, Sociology, MacroEconomics - total 13 hours

Summer 05: English I, Biology I, History I, Art - total 13 hours

Fall 05-06: English II, Statistics, MicroEconomics, A&P I - total 13 hours

Spring 06: Literature I, A&P II, Biology II, Calculus I - 15 hours

I met the prereqs for about 6 or 7 school in the southeast (but only applied to 4: Mercer, UofGA, PBA, and Samford). I was in school for two years, so technically it can be done... it wasn't much fun, though 🙂 By the way, I did not get a degree and was accepted to Mercer and PBA (placed on the waiting list at Samford and rejected at UofGA).

Hope that helps.
 
AtomicLuv said:
Okay. I need some advice.
First, its hard for me to understand how its even possible to finish all of the pre-reqs in 2 years! thats bio,chem, inorg chem, physics, plus calc, stats, econ, psychology, human anatomy, microbio and a bunch of electives in history and speech? that sounds like way too much! how do people even do this?

My situation is this. I am going into my junior year, and I am really unsure what to major in. I still need organic chem, microbio, human anatomy (2 semesters), psychology, and possibly economics (Im not even sure if I have the required speech/english/history classes), and I want to apply to pharm school for entry in 2008. Technically, I could graduate in 2 years with a BA in either bio or chem, but add bio or chem degree requirements to all of the pharm requirements and my general education requirements that I still have left (like 2 classes), this seems like such a huge amount.

if I just finish my pharm pre-reqs in 3 years, and never get a degree, does that look bad? I just dont see how I can fit all of this in...how do you guys do it? am I missing something? 😱


yes it can be done, just pace yourself and dont overload because you certainly dont want to take a whole bunch of classes and end up with average or below average grades.........