Pre-Reqs expiring

Dried Mango

Jun 4, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey SDN! When do pre-reqs expire? From the point when they were taken? Or from when you graduated? I took chemistry and bio from 2016-2017 and graduated undergrad in 2019 and I don't think I'll be applying to med school until Spring 2022. Will my chem/bio classes expire by the time I apply?

JanetSnakehole

I’m a very rich widow with a terrible secret.
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2018
the West Coast
  1. Medical Student
Hey SDN! When do pre-reqs expire? From the point when they were taken? Or from when you graduated? I took chemistry and bio from 2016-2017 and graduated undergrad in 2019 and I don't think I'll be applying to med school until Spring 2022. Will my chem/bio classes expire by the time I apply?

It depends on the school, but you will be fine at most programs. I took all my BCPM prerequisites within 3 years of applying, but my English/social sciences/humanities courses were over 10 years old at that point. I had no issues whatsoever at any of the ~30 schools I applied to.

I do remember seeing a few websites that said something like “competitive applicants are expected to have upper division science coursework within x years of applying” but I did not frequently encounter this. For your own peace of mind, you might consider contacting your state/top choice programs with this question and see what they say. But I don’t think you’ll have much trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.