Pre-reqs for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringpharmacist19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Im currently in the midst of fulfilling the pre-reqs for pharmacy school, specifically liu brooklyn or buffalo (SUNY). I was just wondering if anyone got in to pharmacy school with ..maybe one C in one of the core classes that pharmacy schools look at? For example, a C/C+ in biology? So far in all my other classes I've been doing pretty well (Gen chem 1 B+, Gen chem 2 A-, Calc 1 & 2 B's, psych A-, ) and overall cum. is a 3.53. I know there are other factors that pharmacy schools look at but could one C from a core class be a defining factor? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with two very poor grades in pre-reqs. A "C" or two would not be a defining factor unless the school's website specifies that a specific grade must be achieved in each pre-req course. If you are concerned, however, you should email the particular schools you intend on applying to.

Hi!
Im currently in the midst of fulfilling the pre-reqs for pharmacy school, specifically liu brooklyn or buffalo (SUNY). I was just wondering if anyone got in to pharmacy school with ..maybe one C in one of the core classes that pharmacy schools look at? For example, a C/C+ in biology? So far in all my other classes I've been doing pretty well (Gen chem 1 B+, Gen chem 2 A-, Calc 1 & 2 B's, psych A-, ) and overall cum. is a 3.53. I know there are other factors that pharmacy schools look at but could one C from a core class be a defining factor? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Schools want to see who you are.....not just defined as GPA and PCAT scores. I did not have the strongest GPA, and definitely not the strongest PCAT score, but my experience, research and extracurriculars are above par (in my opinion). I scored an interview for the only school that I have applied. My interview date is September 11th! Woo-hoo! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with two very poor grades in pre-reqs. A "C" or two would not be a defining factor unless the school's website specifies that a specific grade must be achieved in each pre-req course. If you are concerned, however, you should email the particular schools you intend on applying to.
Thanks for the advice!! It really did give me relief! Did you also get any experience in a pharmacy or do any other things to make yourself stand out?? Like extracurriculars too?

Schools want to see who you are.....not just defined as GPA and PCAT scores. I did not have the strongest GPA, and definitely not the strongest PCAT score, but my experience, research and extracurriculars are above par (in my opinion). I scored an interview for the only school that I have applied. My interview date is September 11th! Woo-hoo! :)
Congratulations!!! wish you the best of luck :) I just got a job as a pharmacy tech and I'll be joining some extracurriculars this fall. So hopefully I'll have a chance too!! when did you apply to pharmacy school? I wanted to apply during my junior year and enter in through my senior year.

Yep, I'd worked as a pharmacy technician for 2 years by the time I applied. I'm sure your new job and volunteering will give you a boost.

Congratulations!!! wish you the best of luck :) I just got a job as a pharmacy tech and I'll be joining some extracurriculars this fall. So hopefully I'll have a chance too!! when did you apply to pharmacy school? I wanted to apply during my junior year and enter in through my senior year.

I applied over the summer, between my Junior and Senior year of my undergraduate work.

Make sure you have the following courses

1. Calc. 1
2. Chemistry 1/2 (with Lab)
3. Organic Chem. 1/2 (with Lab)
4. Physic 1/2 (with Lab)
5. Anatomy and Physiology 1/2 (with Lab)
6. Statistic
7. General Microbiology (with Lab)
8. Biochemistry
9. Intro to Micro and Macro (some pharm. school looks for these 2 classes)
10. Humanities (make sure those are done)
11. Recommend to have a minor in chemistry (kind of looks good on your transcript then the other candidates)

Other then that, I would recommend have a working experience in the pharmacy as a pharm tech. in that way
you can be familiar with drugs, environment, how to handle any problems, etc. Also try talking with pharmacist
regarding how their experience was in pharmacy school. Any advice you can get from them that you can take it for
consideration. Also try to have a volunteering experience in some sort of medical related in that way they know that
you are active with your community and how much you care about them. Also make sure that you are actively involved in school programs that you are currently enrolled. **If you possible, try to take 15-18 credits in a semester, in that the pharmacy school knows that with the amount of credits you took in a semester, they can know that this person is ready to deal with hard course work.

Best of Luck.

Make sure you have the following courses

1. Calc. 1
2. Chemistry 1/2 (with Lab)
3. Organic Chem. 1/2 (with Lab)
4. Physic 1/2 (with Lab)
5. Anatomy and Physiology 1/2 (with Lab)
6. Statistic
7. General Microbiology (with Lab)
8. Biochemistry
9. Intro to Micro and Macro (some pharm. school looks for these 2 classes)
10. Humanities (make sure those are done)
11. Recommend to have a minor in chemistry (kind of looks good on your transcript then the other candidates)

Other then that, I would recommend have a working experience in the pharmacy as a pharm tech. in that way
you can be familiar with drugs, environment, how to handle any problems, etc. Also try talking with pharmacist
regarding how their experience was in pharmacy school. Any advice you can get from them that you can take it for
consideration. Also try to have a volunteering experience in some sort of medical related in that way they know that
you are active with your community and how much you care about them. Also make sure that you are actively involved in school programs that you are currently enrolled. **If you possible, try to take 15-18 credits in a semester, in that the pharmacy school knows that with the amount of credits you took in a semester, they can know that this person is ready to deal with hard course work.

Best of Luck.
Thanks!! i really tried to take 15-18 credits but since a lot of students go to my school and are on a pre-med track, the classes are so hard to obtain so im only taking 14.5 credits this semester and im also working one day in a pharmacy.

I applied over the summer, between my Junior and Senior year of my undergraduate work.
wow! that really gives me hope, because when i didnt get into a 0-6 year pharm school i felt really bummed. People told me it looked really bad to transfer after junior year of undergraduate work, but then again they aren't in my position. I thought i would try to finish the pre-reqs in two years, but when i really looked into it, it would have been three years at my school because its so hard to obtain the classes.