Pre-reqs over 5 years old

Started by MJHUSKERS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MJHUSKERS

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I hear, most PT schools only accept pre-reqs 5 or less years old. Do any of you have experiences with schools that allow you to exceed the 5 years on pre-req courses? Are there a number of schools that say 10 or less years?

What if the reason the courses passed the 5 year limit was due to earning an MA/MS?

Let me know what you know.
 
There are some schools that don't have a time limit: NYU, Columbia, CUNY-Hunter.

Some schools I'm looking at have a 10 year limit, so I'm having to take Organic (only 1 semester, since my Gen Chem is right on the 10 year mark) and A&P all over again. Even though I have grad classes in sports med dealing with more advanced physiology, motor control, etc. I still have to retake (well, at a higher level, when possible) the classes. But it is best to contact the schools to see what they'll accept and won't accept. Some schools are more lax than others!

I haven't come across a school with a 5 year limit (yikes!), but I'm only applying to the NYC/Phili metro area.

If you do grad work, make sure that when you register, make sure it is for a grade and not p/f for any course work that would be a boon to have on your transcript when applying to DPT programs! I have a few classes that weren't needed for my degree that were done as P/F and I'm regretting it, as they would have counted towards my pre-reqs, otherwise! still kicking myself...

Good luck!
 
I have also noticed that most schools require pre-requisites that have been completed within 5 years. Western University of Health Sciences requires they be completed within 7 years. I can attest that they are serious with this requirement. I was accepted into the program this last May, and it was never stated that my acceptance was contingent upon taking a course. I was allowed to register for my classes in July and that was when I noticed an academic hold. One of my pre-reqs was 8 years old. I was forced to withdraw myself from the class because by the time I found out I could not retake the course by their deadline. It was the most frustrating and disappointing moment of my life. I am now making applications all over again. However, I have now double checked all my courses and have retaken the one that expired. Hope nobody else makes the same mistake as me.