Pre-reqs over summer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sheenarob172

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a freshman just starting my pre-pharm pre-reqs, and I'm trying to complete a 3yr pre-req courseload in 2yrs if possible but I heard that you shouldn't take any pre-reqs during the summer b/c they are frowned upon....is this true? If I take my physics and organic chemistry during summer school, I know that I'd have everything complete in 2 yrs.
 
I'm also a freshmen, too. I believe you would be fine taking some of your prereqs during the summer, but I would reconsider taking Physics and O Chem. You will probably not want to take any of the core prereqs in the summer unless your really smart or something, which you might be I don't know. And since the summer classes are usually compressed to a few weeks it might not be a good idea. Just my opinion though.
 
I'm a freshman just starting my pre-pharm pre-reqs, and I'm trying to complete a 3yr pre-req courseload in 2yrs if possible but I heard that you shouldn't take any pre-reqs during the summer b/c they are frowned upon....is this true? If I take my physics and organic chemistry during summer school, I know that I'd have everything complete in 2 yrs.

I took Calc II and Anatomy over the summer, got A's in both. I don't see why schools would frown upon it, it's the same amount of information, just in 6 weeks (depending on your school) instead of 12. If you do well, I think it would show that you are capable of high workload.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only remember one school specifically stating they don't like summer courses. I think it might have been USC but I can't remember. Most schools don't care.
 
I took Gen chem 2 during the summer and felt like I learned more during the summer than during the semester. It was only one course and I felt like there were less distractions during the summer so I could actually focus. I made an A in Gen Chem 2. B+ in Gen Chem 1...I hated that class. 😴