Pre-reqs Question

Started by sangtvo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sangtvo

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to this forum and I've been doing a lot of research on DPT. Ever since then, I am highly interested in this career. I decided to shift my career and I graduated from University of California, Irvine in 2013 as a Business Econ major.

Lucky for me, I already knocked out 2-3 pre-req classes while I was at UCI.

I am starting to take my pre-reqs at a local community college (quarter system) in late June. However, I am a little puzzled on how and when to take my pre-reqs.

Looking at many of the DPT California schools, they either require:
1. 2 classes of each (general bio, chem, phsyics, and etc.) with a certain semester unit
2. 4-6 semester units (or 6-9 quarter units by multiplying 1.5) for each subject
3. a standard full year of a certain subject (chemistry, physics)

My question is... how should I go about on taking pre-reqs?

Should I take the 2 classes of each subject (which fits the 4 semester unit)?
or
Should I take the full year course just to be safe? But it'll just require more time.


The community college I am going to has a 3 part subject (chem 1a, 1b, 1c.. bio 6a, 6b, 6c).
Is it okay if I take 2/3 of them to fulfill the pre-reqs or just take the whole series to be safe?

Thanks for your help!
 
How many credits is each class? If chem 1a and 1b= 6 credits, then that's all you will need. I've never seen hard sciences divided into three classes so I'm not sure. Usually you have to take two levels of those classes for a total of 8 credits. Contact some of the programs you're interested in.
 
My community college was the same way. Quarter hours are different than semester hours. I had to take 3 classes to equal 1 semester. So chem 1a, 1b and 1c counted for Chem 1. Then 3 classes for chem 2. It sounds like a lot but took about the same amount of time to do 3 classes as 1 semester. So in my experience you need to take the complete series for equivalency. And make sure you get the second semester courses too.
 
Ahh I see.. Thank you!

Perhaps, I can just fulfill the units for each class.

If I take the whole series, it's going to take me 2-3 years which is way too long. I definitely want to start applying by 2015 at least.