Pre-Reqs services for PA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dajspi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some help understanding how an undergrad can accomplish patient care requirements for application to PA graduate programs. Do students normally take a year off? Are there opportunities(paid/unpaid) during summer recess through hospitals, etc. that are commonly used for patient care experience?

I am curious to know your own experience(s) in achieving this requirement.

Thanks in advance.

From Duke University PA Program Pre-Reqs page.

A minimum of 1,000 hours of patient care experience is required with direct, "hands-on" patient contact (e.g., EMT or paramedic, health educator, RN, patient care attendant or nurse's aide, clinic assistant, Peace Corps volunteer or other cross-cultural health care experience, technologist, therapist, clinical research assistant, etc.). 1,000 hours of patient care experience must be completed no later than October 1, 2009.

The following types of experience are NOT accepted toward the 1,000 hours of patient care experience: PA or physician observer or shadow, non-clinical research assistant positions, student clinical experience (student nurse, student EMT, student athletic trainer, or other health care student), student "intern" experiences, candy striper or junior volunteer positions, CPR or ACLS instructor, wilderness medicine instructor, patient transporter, pharmaceutical representative, ski patroller, life guard, aerobics instructor, unit clerk, insurance clerk, medical secretary or other clerical positions.

Members don't see this ad.

For most folks pa is a second medical career not a path directly from undergrad.
I was an er tech all through college 20 hrs/week and then a paramedic for 5 years before becoming a pa. I was a typical student in my program. we also had nurses, resp. therapists, medical assistants, etc
the original pa's at duke were all navy corpsman from vietnam. many pa students today still have a background as military or civilian medics. the avg age in my program was around 35.

the duke page you copied sums it up pretty well:
A minimum of 1,000 hours of patient care experience is required with direct, "hands-on" patient contact (e.g., EMT or paramedic, health educator, RN, patient care attendant or nurse's aide, clinic assistant, Peace Corps volunteer or other cross-cultural health care experience, technologist, therapist, clinical research assistant, etc.).

so to answer your question, if you currently have no experience and want to go to duke you probably need to get some kind of certification and work with it for a while. this will probably take > 1 yr.

dajspi said:
representative, ski patroller, life guard,

I think it's interesting that ski patroller doesn't count. There are plenty of patrollers at big mountains who are running more calls per day than many EMTs at smaller departments. Copper Mountain runs about 3000 calls in a four month season. I know it doesn't apply to most people but sorta a shame.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's interesting that ski patroller doesn't count. There are plenty of patrollers at big mountains who are running more calls per day than many EMTs at smaller departments. Copper Mountain runs about 3000 calls in a four month season. I know it doesn't apply to most people but sorta a shame.

if you listed the experience as EMT/ski patrol or EMT/lifeguard it would count....a lot of ski patrol folks only have adv. 1st aid....

I have class M-R mornings and work 1-10pm M-F. I take an EMT-B class on Saturdays. I study on lunch break, when I get home from work, and on Sundays. It takes a lot of time management/sacrifice of leisure activities. In January, when EMT-B class is over, I will quit my full-time job and hopefully work as an ER Tech. If not, I'll work on an ambulance until I can get an ER Tech job.

I won't graduate for at least 1.5 more years so I have at least that much time to get HCE. I'd recommend that you get an EMT-B or CNA cert and try to work as an ER Tech. They're pretty easy to get (weekends or a few weeks of classes). I don't see why anyone would have to take a year off or only work through the summers to get HCE.

Of course, in January my parents are also going to start paying my tuition, so I guess it depends on how your financing your education.