Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and was hoping you wise souls could answer a few questions for me.

I graduated recently with a BA in political science and history. I haven't taken a single psych course, but am fairly sure that I'd like to pursue a degree in psychology. In speaking to several programs (MA/PhD/PsyD), I've gotten conflicting answers as to whether I need pre-reqs to get in. I was accepted to the MSW program at UMD at Baltimore (which had pre-reqs, but was willing to let me take them later), but declined their offer.

I'm looking at the MFT program at UMD at College Park, and though they don't implicitly ask for basic psych courses, I think it would help. Now here's the question: is it better to take the courses at the University's evening program for adults or at community college? Taking it during the day with undergrads is unfortunately not an option.

Also, is MFT a viable career option? And is a PsyD as looked-down on as I've been told (though granted only by PhDs)?

Sorry so long and thanks in advance.

TheBean

Members don't see this ad.

TheBean said:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and was hoping you wise souls could answer a few questions for me.

I graduated recently with a BA in political science and history. I haven't taken a single psych course, but am fairly sure that I'd like to pursue a degree in psychology. In speaking to several programs (MA/PhD/PsyD), I've gotten conflicting answers as to whether I need pre-reqs to get in. I was accepted to the MSW program at UMD at Baltimore (which had pre-reqs, but was willing to let me take them later), but declined their offer.

I'm looking at the MFT program at UMD at College Park, and though they don't implicitly ask for basic psych courses, I think it would help. Now here's the question: is it better to take the courses at the University's evening program for adults or at community college?
DEpending on where you live one of the local community colleges may be a better option. I faced the same dilemna (heck I was rejected from the MA day program) but things worked out. Right now Im taking the pre reqs at a local CC in the evenings after work AND it costs way less than would a day time program. About $70 a credit.... Check out UDC...PG County...Montgomery County CCs and also NOVA CCs

Taking it during the day with undergrads is unfortunately not an option.

Also, is MFT a viable career option? And is a PsyD as looked-down on as I've been told (though granted only by PhDs)?
It is my belief that whatever degree you earn is what you make of it. I USED to buy into the whole PsyDs are looked down upon but I dont anymore. I think that if you are an excellent student then youw ill be excellent in whatever you do. I believe that there are varying levels of quality in a program but still, if you are dedicated and can master the work then you will not show much deficiency. Furthermore I dont think you should get wrapped up in opinions as everyone has them. When it comes down to it we will ALL TAKE THE SAME EXAM to be licensed and after that it doesnt become about What KIND of DEGREE or WHERE you went to school. This is according to a few PHDs and PsyDs I met at the APA conference. I decided to go the PsyD route because I am wholly uninterested in research (conducting and designing) and I needed to stay true to that notion about myself. I am interestd in combining law and psychology therefore that is the route Ive chosen. Go with what will be BEST FOR YOU in the long run, not what everyone who has an opinion about the rest of your life..

Sorry so long and thanks in advance.

TheBean

hope that helps!

Very confusing trying to figure out what program to pursue, isn't it? As far as psych programs go, some require pre-reqs, others don't require any at all. Without a psych background, I'd agree that taken some courses would probably be helpful to you -- more exposure to the subject, shows you're committed, etc. Since you need to start with the basics, taking courses at the community college should be fine. Any psychology courses -- general, abnormal, developmental/lifespan, research methods, stats -- would be good.

As far as the MFT option goes...depends on what you want to do for a career. Master's level MFT degree would probably qualify you to do therapy, assuming the state you want to work in licenses MFTs. Phd degree in MFT often leads to administrative work in non-profit orgs, teaching, and possibly therapy (assuming you can be licensed in your state). Look to see if there is a "Marriage and Family Therapy Licensure Board" in your state. Also keep in mind that ANYONE with a master's or doctoral degree in the mental health field can potentially apply to be a MFT (depending on your state) -- and it can be a good thing to add to your resume. For example, one site lists the following requirement for application: "Possesses a minimum of a master's degree from a recognized educational institution in the field of marriage and family therapy, or a degree in an allied mental health field, which degree is evidenced by the applicant's official transcripts which establish that the applicant has completed an appropriate course of study in an allied mental health field." Just have to have coursework related to MFT (which many doctoral-level programs neglect, unfortunately).

As far as the PsyD vs. PhD debate, you will hear the argument from both sides & I'm almost afraid to even touch on the subject for fear of sparking a hostile debate. I agree with Annakei that eventually what matters is that you get licensed & do good work. Aside from that, yes, the bias is still out there so you should be aware of it. Are there great PsyD clinicians? Yes. But, in my opinion, there are some bad PsyD programs (mainly the for-profit professional schools, many with class sizes that are ridiculously too large) producing bad students and eventually poorly-trained clinicians --- unfortunately this has served to tarnish some professional opinions about the degree. Yes, there are also bad PhD programs. But, even so, the PhD is sometimes referred to as the traditional and more prestigious degree. Some will certainly argue this point -- but I have heard this reference made in quite a few different professional and academic settings. I'm sure you've done your homework --- PhD is much more focused on research (conducting, evaluating, understanding) while PsyD traditionally focuses less on this. PsyD programs can be considerably easier to get into, though a few have pretty stringent requirements (especially those associated with universities). On the upside, PsyD programs often have great professional contacts and practicum sites -- helps in landing a good job after school.

My advice would be do some volunteer or related clinical work. Talk to people in the real world -- get a sense of whether it's what you want to spend the next 5-8 years of your life studying in grad school, typically with a POOR financial outcome. In all honesty, good luck to you as you try to figure it out -- it's not easy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
psych101 said:
Very confusing trying to figure out what program to pursue, isn't it? As far as psych programs go, some require pre-reqs, others don't require any at all. Without a psych background, I'd agree that taken some courses would probably be helpful to you -- more exposure to the subject, shows you're committed, etc. Since you need to start with the basics, taking courses at the community college should be fine. Any psychology courses -- general, abnormal, developmental/lifespan, research methods, stats -- would be good.

As far as the MFT option goes...depends on what you want to do for a career. Master's level MFT degree would probably qualify you to do therapy, assuming the state you want to work in licenses MFTs. Phd degree in MFT often leads to administrative work in non-profit orgs, teaching, and possibly therapy (assuming you can be licensed in your state). Look to see if there is a "Marriage and Family Therapy Licensure Board" in your state. Also keep in mind that ANYONE with a master's or doctoral degree in the mental health field can potentially apply to be a MFT (depending on your state) -- and it can be a good thing to add to your resume. For example, one site lists the following requirement for application: "Possesses a minimum of a master's degree from a recognized educational institution in the field of marriage and family therapy, or a degree in an allied mental health field, which degree is evidenced by the applicant's official transcripts which establish that the applicant has completed an appropriate course of study in an allied mental health field." Just have to have coursework related to MFT (which many doctoral-level programs neglect, unfortunately).

As far as the PsyD vs. PhD debate, you will hear the argument from both sides & I'm almost afraid to even touch on the subject for fear of sparking a hostile debate. I agree with Annakei that eventually what matters is that you get licensed & do good work. Aside from that, yes, the bias is still out there so you should be aware of it. Are there great PsyD clinicians? Yes. But, in my opinion, there are some bad PsyD programs (mainly the for-profit professional schools, many with class sizes that are ridiculously too large) producing bad students and eventually poorly-trained clinicians --- unfortunately this has served to tarnish some professional opinions about the degree. Yes, there are also bad PhD programs. But, even so, the PhD is sometimes referred to as the traditional and more prestigious degree. Some will certainly argue this point -- but I have heard this reference made in quite a few different professional and academic settings. I'm sure you've done your homework --- PhD is much more focused on research (conducting, evaluating, understanding) while PsyD traditionally focuses less on this. PsyD programs can be considerably easier to get into, though a few have pretty stringent requirements (especially those associated with universities). On the upside, PsyD programs often have great professional contacts and practicum sites -- helps in landing a good job after school.

My advice would be do some volunteer or related clinical work. Talk to people in the real world -- get a sense of whether it's what you want to spend the next 5-8 years of your life studying in grad school, typically with a POOR financial outcome. In all honesty, good luck to you as you try to figure it out -- it's not easy :)

The often heated debates on the forum gave me MUCH food for thought. I just know that when it comes down to it that I wouldnt let ANOTHER PERSON define my degree and my future. I know successful PHDs and PsyDs. If you know that you want to be a clinician then work on being the BEST clinicican EVEN IF you come out of Argosy. Its what you make it not what OTHERS make you.

Agreed, good clinicians come from all types of backgrounds. Some even seem to have a natural gift and could probably do the therapy part without much graduate training. And there are plenty of folks from what are thought to be fantastic programs who suck as clinicians or just as people in general. Your program doesn't define you. I guess if you go to a notoriously bad program then people might have negative preconceptions about you. I suppose in any case, once you get a foot in the door, you have to be willing to work as hard as it takes to make up whatever your personal or professional shortcomings may be (we all have them). Just do your homework & educate yourself so that you're aware of what you're up against and where to best invest your time & energy. Good luck!