pre-req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated as a biology major and just recently changed from pre-med to pre-pharm a week ago. I am planning to applying this fall and new to the whole process.
I still need to take 4 pre-req classes: microbio, anatomy I and II, and public speaking. I signed up for the oct PCATs. Should I take some classes this semester while I study for PCATs or can I put on my application that I'll be taking classes spring and summer? Do they care that I am putting off these classes? Does it matter if I take it at a univ or community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated as a biology major and just recently changed from pre-med to pre-pharm a week ago. I am planning to applying this fall and new to the whole process.
I still need to take 4 pre-req classes: microbio, anatomy I and II, and public speaking. I signed up for the oct PCATs. Should I take some classes this semester while I study for PCATs or can I put on my application that I'll be taking classes spring and summer? Do they care that I am putting off these classes? Does it matter if I take it at a univ or community college?

I think you need to have all your classes done before you apply. I know Western University of Health Sciences pharm school won't accept any classes you take the summer before you apply. There are alot of pharm schools that don't require anat...not sure about Microbio though(alot of schools require that). Since you need both anatomy's then you will need another year before applying. I suggest you instead take the June PCAT. You can take Speech, Micro, and anat 1 during Fall 2008 and then Anat 2 + PCAT study during the next semester. It would be safer to take it at a university. I'm not sure if they would care if you took it at a university or not. I hope they don't care about taking anat at a community college b/c I plan on doing that over the summer at a community college. Anat 1 is one of the most difficult classes at my university.

I think you need to have all your classes done before you apply. I know Western University of Health Sciences pharm school won't accept any classes you take the summer before you apply. There are alot of pharm schools that don't require anat...not sure about Microbio though(alot of schools require that). Since you need both anatomy's then you will need another year before applying. I suggest you instead take the June PCAT. You can take Speech, Micro, and anat 1 during Fall 2008 and then Anat 2 + PCAT study during the next semester. It would be safer to take it at a university. I'm not sure if they would care if you took it at a university or not. I hope they don't care about taking anat at a community college b/c I plan on doing that over the summer at a community college. Anat 1 is one of the most difficult classes at my university.

Actually you DONT need to have all the classes done before you apply. Western University doesn't accept summer courses if it was taken the summer BEFORE school starts not the summer before you apply. So as long as you finish your classes by the end of spring then you should be fine. Also it doesn't matter if you take the classes at a CC or university. Good luck!