Pre-requesites emphasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orgoishard

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody,

I am in a dilema as to what courses I should take in the upcoming Spring semester. Currently, I am a sophmore at a community college. During my freshman year, I got C's from chem 1, chem 2 and bio 1. I read from the UMD school of pharmacy website that emphasis will be placed on pre-requesites. Now here is my dilema, I was planning to take bio 2 and calc 2 for my bio major next Spring. Since UMD states that they'll be looking at the pre-requesites more closely, I thought about taking Bio 1 again and get a better grade. Is this a good choice? I thought about taking calc 2 because I thought it would look good on my transcript, but now I think I might have to replace calc 2 with bio 1. What do you guys think? Do admission committee look at non pre-requesites courses as well? Thanks!!!
 
Hi everybody,

I am in a dilema as to what courses I should take in the upcoming Spring semester. Currently, I am a sophmore at a community college. During my freshman year, I got C's from chem 1, chem 2 and bio 1. I read from the UMD school of pharmacy website that emphasis will be placed on pre-requesites. Now here is my dilema, I was planning to take bio 2 and calc 2 for my bio major next Spring. Since UMD states that they'll be looking at the pre-requesites more closely, I thought about taking Bio 1 again and get a better grade. Is this a good choice? I thought about taking calc 2 because I thought it would look good on my transcript, but now I think I might have to replace calc 2 with bio 1. What do you guys think? Do admission committee look at non pre-requesites courses as well? Thanks!!!
I'm sure they consider nonpre-reqs as well but as is stated pre-req classes are weighted more heavily. Personally, I would continue to bio 2, and the rest of the second semester classes and do well in them. Then you can apply now and give yourself a chance, rather then repeating the classes now because you will loose a year regardless since you won't have completed all of the pre-reqs. Worst comes to worse you have to reapply and re-take the classes you got C's in. But atleast by continuing onto the second semester classes you give yourself a chance to get in this year.
 
Have you taken Organic Chemistry or Microbiology yet? If not, I would not take the Bio class over again yet if I were you. You should take all the difficult prerequisites first to see how you do in them. For instance: if you get a C in Organic Chemistry and have a C in Biology. Retaking Organic Chemistry would be more beneficial for you because schools will put emphasis on that specific course more than an entry level biology. Good luck! 🙂
 
I need to repeat bio 1 as well. Do you know if it is offered during the spring semester in any college in new york? :scared: