Pre-requisites set in stone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tikiriki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Postings on this forum have been very helpful so here are some questions for you all. I have a BS in Biology (Physiology) and BA in Psychology and thought that all prerequisites are fulfilled. When I took a closer look at prerequisite form I noticed that Berkeley and several other schools listed Microbiology course as required. Now, some schools have written that these courses are to be done by the time that you attend school (if accepted of course) but not necessary by application date. So do you think I can get away with not taking the course before applying and waiting to see if/when I get accepted and then taking the class? I can still take the course this summer but then I want to dedicate these months to studying for the OAT instead. Also, 1 full year of English is needed at some schools (while my university only needs 2 courses as requirements for graduation so I didn't bother taking any more than necessary). I have an interpersonal communication class, can that count towards the English requirement? Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

tikiriki said:
Hi all,

Postings on this forum have been very helpful so here are some questions for you all. I have a BS in Biology (Physiology) and BA in Psychology and thought that all prerequisites are fulfilled. When I took a closer look at prerequisite form I noticed that Berkeley and several other schools listed Microbiology course as required. Now, some schools have written that these courses are to be done by the time that you attend school (if accepted of course) but not necessary by application date. So do you think I can get away with not taking the course before applying and waiting to see if/when I get accepted and then taking the class? I can still take the course this summer but then I want to dedicate these months to studying for the OAT instead. Also, 1 full year of English is needed at some schools (while my university only needs 2 courses as requirements for graduation so I didn't bother taking any more than necessary). I have an interpersonal communication class, can that count towards the English requirement? Thanks for your advice.

Most people who apply will not be done the pre-reqs when they send in their application. I'm sure you'll be fine taking micro after you're accepted.... it would be a different case if you were missing a lot of the pre-reqs, but you're not so you should be fine! I applied and was accepted to two schools before having completed micro and physiology. You may want to call the schools you're interested in and ask if your communication class would fill the english requirement.

didn't you have tocomplete microbiology in order to get ur bio degree?

just a thought..