Pre-residency Bootcamp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opera1022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am going to be an IM intern this year (if I match).
I know that some schools are providing pre-residency bootcamps/capstone courses but my school doesn't. What resources could I use to prepare for high-yield topics that come up during intern year (night calls etc.)? Appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that some schools are providing pre-residency bootcamps/capstone courses but my school doesn't. What resources could I use to prepare for high-yield topics that come up during intern year (night calls etc.)? Appreciate your input!

Nothing will prepare you. Enjoy your time off. You will learn what you need to do during the first few months. Don't sweat it and again, enjoy your free time.

Your job as an intern is first and foremost to become efficient and comfortable with the hospital system in which you work. Once you develop that rhythm then you will generally be fine. Read on your patients and on topics you are working amongst, and you’ll learn plenty.

Not much can prepare you for this. Relax, because you will never have this much time off again in your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The "systems based practices" and "practice based learning" are the domains that you will have the most rough time with.
No matter how high you scored on your USMLE, how many honors you got, the first few months of internship will make you feel dumb. Not because you are dumb but because your responsibilities are efficiently finishing progress notes, writing accurate notes for maximal billing, calling consults early, following up a million orders, satisfying colace/senna and diet orders for nurses, getting people discharged early, getting yelled at by patient's wanting more Dilaudid....

But as for practical real medical skills, perhaps you can spend a fourth year rotation on MICU or SICU. The residents will do all the big procedures but you can probably learn some ultrasonography skills, IV placement, and get the lay of the land on code blues as a "first responder," and get a feel more what to do when patients decompensate.

I recall my first intern response to a phone call on Day 1 of it all for an emaciated vasculopathic patient with hypotension... two 16 gauge IVs stat! (just like in USMLE Step 2 and 3!) LOL. What funny looks I got from the nurses for that statement.

All that knowledge on vasculitis... forget about it for now.

I like listening to podcasts. Emcrit, accrac, maryland cc project, etc. It's easy, takes little effort and teaches you a lot.

I suggest xbox and legal adult beverages of your choice instead of bootcamps. Naps. Take naps. Sit in the sun. Like outside in the sun. You forget what it looks like and feels like getting to work when it dark, and leaving when it dark (even in the summer). Read a couple of novels, you probably won't for three years. My pleasure reading still hasn't recovered from training. Go to a concert of your favorite band, hard to find time for that kind of thing later. Learn to cook quick and healthy meals. Take the time to experiment. You eat too much garbage in training if you aren't prepared. Learn to run. A solo exercise pursuit that can be done on your own time and doesn't require you to go to a gym or similar.

Sex too.

Edit: in flowery language appropriate for a professional forum, please see to all aspects of optimal human wellness, including mental health, time with loved ones, and seek sources of safe affection and safe consensual expressions of.... jfc I just can't even do this.

Relax and enjoy your free time - get in shape because freshman 15 becomes intern 30lbs very quick. Rotate on a cs service during 4th yr if you have the opportunity- you’ll learn the lay of the land and have time to learn the EMR (biggest roadblock in my opinion during the first couple months of intern yr).
Everyone who starts intern yr is considered the same knowledge base wise - you’re treated as if you know nothing.
If you HAVE to read something then work on acute stuff - pt presents with any of the following common stuff:
SOB
Chest pain
Abd pain
Syncope
Dizziness
AMS
COPD exacerbation
CHF exacerbation
Electrolyte abnormalities- hyperkalemia , hypo/hypernatremia, hypercalcemia management
Hypo/hypertension
Acute blood loss
CAP/HCAP
UTI
DVT/PE
AKI

You will be called with these complaints overnight (night float) and for admissions. Very common stuff that you’ll learn quickly and see often during intern year.
But really, don’t study or “prep” for intern yr - it’s a waste of time