Pre-Transfer GPA Worry

Started by marine12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marine12

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

So prior to this semester I had been in the Military. I took online classes for three years when I was in. At one point I had failed a class do due being stuck with an area with no internet for a few weeks. The professor of the class didn't believe me or just didn't want to work with me, so I failed. Left with at 3.1 GPA at the school. Anyhow I transferred to a brick and mortar school this semester. Should be finishing this semester with a 3.8 or so. Will that previous low GPA effect me negatively? I have 2.5 years left of undergrad to work on my current GPA also.

Thanks everyone!
 
I had a 3.2 with almost sixty hours before transferring, and it was an uphill battle but I got my GPA up to a 3.75 and, a higher science gpa because I hadn't taken any sciences before transfer. So, yes, you will be fine. I'm also a veteran, fwiw.
 
I had a 3.2 with almost sixty hours before transferring, and it was an uphill battle but I got my GPA up to a 3.75 and, a higher science gpa because I hadn't taken any sciences before transfer. So, yes, you will be fine. I'm also a veteran, fwiw.
Yeah I had 45 credits when I transferred, I had taken two science classes, but had an A and a B with those. Thats good to hear though! I have not too many vets it seems going the med school route.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

So prior to this semester I had been in the Military. I took online classes for three years when I was in. At one point I had failed a class do due being stuck with an area with no internet for a few weeks. The professor of the class didn't believe me or just didn't want to work with me, so I failed. Left with at 3.1 GPA at the school. Anyhow I transferred to a brick and mortar school this semester. Should be finishing this semester with a 3.8 or so. Will that previous low GPA effect me negatively? I have 2.5 years left of undergrad to work on my current GPA also.

Thanks everyone!

I think you're going to be fine. You have a lot of solid course work and a good explanation for that 1 bad grade. Your service to the nation is going to far out weigh a small blemish. Schools will love to have someone with your experience.
 
I think you're going to be fine. You have a lot of solid course work and a good explanation for that 1 bad grade. Your service to the nation is going to far out weigh a small blemish. Schools will love to have someone with your experience.
Thanks for the reply! I had posted this elsewhere and someone told me schools are just going to see it as "I'm a student who took on course work I could not handle". Im not trying to make excuses, but this case was truly not my fault.